Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Going back to Wisconsin again this year.. >

Going back to Wisconsin again this year..

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Going back to Wisconsin again this year..

Old 06-13-2008, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Going back to Wisconsin again this year..

Well, I'm kind of pumped. I'm going to Wisconsin again to hunt with friends and build a new self-bow. I'm gonnaput some ratlle snake skins on this one. Every year, I hope to make one with Gary Davis at our club when he visits for our big shoot, but I end up working the shoot. We did end up making one though for my son a few years back.

Looks like I'm going just before the doe only hunt in an earn a buck unit. We had a great time in a different area last year and I saw a brute of a buck. He was walking though at 30 yards past me and I didn't feel good about the shot or stopping him. He was also headed straight toward my friend so I didn't want to alert the buck. He ended up crossing though just the other side of the ridge from my friend, he heard him walking but never seen him. I'm guessing he went about 160 class.

Just wanted to share.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Going back to Wisconsin again this year..

Awesome Bob!! Wisconsin is a great state to deer hunt in. I use to go out there back in the day but I haven't in a while. I plan on getting back over there in the next year or so. Good luck to you!
Old 06-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck Bob! I used to head up to Northern Wisconsin every year to fish, but since I started my own business I haven't been able to get away. I hope you have a great hunt.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:21 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Cool--good luck!

Make time to work on a bow--made my first one this year, and trying to figure out how I can make time for a few more! Made mine at the TN Classic--Gary was there, but I got my "adult supervision" from Mark "Pappy" Baggett (he's won Primitive Archer's bow of the month several times, and I think he won bow of the year at least once).

At worst, plan on coming to the TN Classic next year--first weekend in May. Gary will be there, Pappy will be there, along with several more experienced selfbowyers. Everything you need is available, including staves (some are pretty cheap). Come early and stay late--I hope to go up no later than Tues. or Wed. next year. Heck, I may not even shoot in the tournament next year--making shavings and sawdust was too much fun! Only bad part is I still need to learn a lot more before I tackle one on my own, but I'll get there sooner or later.

Chad
Old 06-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thats pretty good for you Bob! Good luck to you this year out there in Western Wisconsin! Great country! We got hit pretty hard this last couple of weeks with the rain! They're predicting the worst ever mosquito hatch this year in the southern half of Wi, they should last us well into mid december!....Bring your Thermacell!!!
Old 06-16-2008, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the info Joe, and hey, I can use that backtag you got me again!Good thing I saved it. Never saw a back tag as large as the one Wisconsin requires.

We'll try to make it LBR, only problem is that Turkeyseason startsthe last weekend in April and now that my son got a taste of it, I may be taken.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:42 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Bob, holler at me if you can make it to TN. I might have a way for you to have your cake and eat it too.............

Chad
Old 06-16-2008, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

OK, will do.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Thanks for the info Joe, and hey, I can use that backtag you got me again! Good thing I saved it. Never saw a back tag as large as the one Wisconsin requires.

We'll try to make it LBR, only problem is that Turkey season starts the last weekend in April and now that my son got a taste of it, I may be taken.
Cool Bob!!! I always thought the same thing about the back tag being to BIG!!! The thing that changed my mind was how Cha Vang was caught, ya know the guy who killed the 6 hunters in Rice Lake, Wi. One of the victims that was wounded wrote Vang's DNR number in the dirt on the ATV he was hiding behind while Vang was walking away from the murder scene!!!

What unit are you hunting in this time?? Did you put in for a fall Turkey tag for that area as well, you never know?
Old 06-16-2008, 09:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wow, I guess the large back tag came in handy.

We'll be near Black River Falls. I'm not sure which unit that is. But I know it is still in an earn a buck unit. I think I will get a fall turkey tag, it would have came in handy last year. It doesn't seem like Wisconsin's non-resident tags are all that bad money wise compared to other states. Some of those fox squirrels were aweful tempting last year also.

Quick Reply: Going back to Wisconsin again this year..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.