Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 First 3-D with the recurve. >

First 3-D with the recurve.

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

First 3-D with the recurve.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default First 3-D with the recurve.

Well, my youngest son Marshall, my friend Tony, and I all headed out to a local 3-D shoot this morning. I got Marshall into bowhunting last year, he managed to take his first deer with a bow and has been hooked ever since. This was his first shoot, Tony's second, and my first with the recurve. We had a BLAST! Marshall and Tony both shot Hunter Class with a max. distance of 35 yds. and I shot from the trad. stakes with a max. distance of 25 yds. The scoring system was the basic 10-8-5 with no 12 or 15 ring scoring. We shot 30 targets for a max score of 300. Tony came in first with a 245, Marshall shot a 232 and I shot a 205. I missed 3 targets and lost one arrow, but still had a great time. I have only been practicing out to 15 yds. and have had the bow for a month, so I felt pretty good. I had to smile as we were adding up score cards, which we were not very concerned with, and I came up with 205. I used to shoot 3-5 shoots a weekend with the compound years ago and carried a 282 average on this scoring system. Funny thing was that I had more fun today, and felt more satisfaction, than I can ever remember feeling with a compound. Marshall and Tony were both shooting wheelie bows, so I took my share of friendly ribbing. All in all it was a great morning and I can't wait to do it again.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: First 3-D with the recurve.

Good to hear it was a good time Brett. Shooting 3-d with these Traditional bows is a blast. I can't wait till next weekend when I head up to Coon Rapids Minnesota for there Traditional Shoot with my dad and a few friends.

Its just good fun with a little friendly competition! Usually the old man whoops up on me, hopefully this year I can kick his but for a change.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad you had a great time! Sounds like you held your own against your friend and your son--good shooting!
Old 06-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Good to hear it was a good time Brett. Shooting 3-d with these Traditional bows is a blast. I can't wait till next weekend when I head up to Coon Rapids Minnesota for there Traditional Shoot with my dad and a few friends.

Its just good fun with a little friendly competition! Usually the old man whoops up on me, hopefully this year I can kick his but for a change.
That sounds like you are going to have a good time Schultzy. I am sure my son took a little satisfaction from whipping his old man, even if it was with a wheelie bow.
Old 06-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JimPic

Glad you had a great time! Sounds like you held your own against your friend and your son--good shooting!

I tried to hold my own............................but they got the best of me. I just hope I can have the last laugh come bow season when I'm holding the bigger buck.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:55 AM
Typical Buck

nice score. if i were to try with my longbow i'd probably surprise myself at how poor i would do. i don't practice like i should with trad equipment.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Funny thing was that I had more fun today, and felt more satisfaction,
That's what it's all about!

Congrats!