Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

aiming a recurve

Old 05-19-2008, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: aiming a recurve

I have a theory too. Jordan, Agassi, Tiger - they could all be world class shooters. Why ? They're athletes. they have the physical skills and mental skills to master things like that. Their hand-eye coordinations are off the charts good.
You're probably right.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:40 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I have a theory too. Jordan, Agassi, Tiger - they could all be world class shooters. Why ? They're athletes. they have the physical skills and mental skills to master things like that. Their hand-eye coordinations are off the charts good.
Maybe, but I don't think it's a given. Jordan didn't make it on the baseball field, doubt Tiger would do very well at basketball, etc.

Along with their "gifts", it could have something to do with playing/practicing/being professionally coached practically all their lives.[8D]

Chad
Old 05-20-2008, 01:22 AM

I agree with big country; consentrate on a spot, have a consistant anchor point and let fly. One thing I have tried that works for me is just before I let fly, I sight with one eye, not on the arrow tip or anything but just to check my windage. it seems to help me be more consistant.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:06 AM
Banned

That is the whole point isn't it--to hit the mark?
then trick your Crusader out with stabilizers, sights, a strin gloop and mechanical release

If the whole object is to be super accurate, then trad archery isn't the way to go.

Then realized I wanted to be more then a 15 yard pieplate shooter with a recurve.
can you expand on that ?

Jordan didn't make it on the baseball field
actually he was a damn good baseball player - he went straight into the Major's with no college experience and still did ok. how do you think you and I would do in his shoes ?

Paul Schafer, incredible athelete. I remember reading about several famous archers who were like that, very good atheletes AND incredible archers/hunters.

I've played my share of sports, the guys who are really at their sports can play ALL sports really well. Archery is athleticism, hand-eye coordination and mental toughness.

Compounds remove all those qualities from archery, and reduce it to point and pull the trigger Super accurate no doubt, very simple to use - yes. I still have a Q2 and might shoot it again this fall

Old 05-20-2008, 07:47 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Like I said, I went to traditional because I had trouble with sights, etc. If I couldn't shoot it well enough to be confident when hunting, I'd try something else.

Jordan went straight to the majors primarily (IMO) because he is Michael Jordan. Shortly after that, he went to the minors because he wasn't up to par--and he'd played a lot of baseball. No shame in that, evidently he just had a knack for basketball. He loves to play golf too, but he's not on the PGA.

Using sights or a sighting system doesn't turn a tradtional bow into a compound. Sights, gap shooting, etc. were around a long time before compounds bows were invented.

They can be a big help in getting started--some folks don't stay interested very long when they get frustrated by a lack of accuracy. There's a lot more to it that just putting the pin on the spot, but that can remove one variable so you can narrow down particular problems to work on.

Chad
Old 05-20-2008, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

[blockquote]

Then realized I wanted to be more then a 15 yard pieplate shooter with a recurve.
[/blockquote]

can you expand on that ?
Pieplate accuracy often at 15 yards or less is widely accepted as an acceptable standard goal in retro trad "I'm a bowhunter" circles.

Steve
Old 05-20-2008, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

[blockquote]

[/blockquote]

can you expand on that ?
Pieplate accuracy often at 15 yards or less is widely accepted as an acceptable standard goal in retro trad "I'm a bowhunter" circles.

Steve
The compound folks are happy as heck with this on there long range shooting, I think its BS and unexceptable for the compound folks. My goals are an inch or so off at 10 and 15 yards. Thats just me though.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:04 PM
Banned

true

Compound accuracy is measured in inches and X's though, at 40-50-60 yards and beyond.

Shortly after that, he went to the minors because he wasn't up to par--and he'd played a lot of baseball. No shame in that, evidently he just had a knack for basketball. He loves to play golf too, but he's not on the PGA.
The Minors Chad ..... do you know how few get there and how good you have to be? And he was there after how many years of not playing even?

He's a damn find golfer too from what I know, a few strokes of PGA caliber.

He's an ultra elite athelete. I'd bet as much money as I have in12 weeks he could outshoot anyone on this message board if he so wanted to. Atheletes like that just have "it"

Old 05-20-2008, 02:18 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Big Duane

Shortly after that, he went to the minors because he wasn't up to par--and he'd played a lot of baseball. No shame in that, evidently he just had a knack for basketball. He loves to play golf too, but he's not on the PGA.
The Minors Chad ..... do you know how few get there and how good you have to be? And he was there after how many years of not playing even?

He's a damn find golfer too from what I know, a few strokes of PGA caliber.

He's an ultra elite athelete. I'd bet as much money as I have in12 weeks he could outshoot anyone on this message board if he so wanted to. Atheletes like that just have "it"

Yea, and he sucked. Theylethim stay because of his name. Didnt have to pay him and had a major name on the team. Simply put. I saw him play ball. He did not have any right on the field, other than his name. He struck out all the time. There were millions of players out there that should have had his spot, but didnt because he was M.J. and nothing more.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:57 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Since I don't know him and don't have any contacts, I have to go with what I heard and saw.

Obviously he went to the major league on his name alone--who goes straight to a major league team after not even playing on any baseball team for how many years? That didn't last long, and he went to the minors, and still didn't last, and never came back to the majors. Sure, he was an amazing player on the basketball court, but he couldn't hang with professionals on the baseball field.

The bestarchers I know aren't all that athletic.

Jordanmight be able to shoot a bow, he might not. Most likely we'll never know, and it has nothing to do with this thread anyway. Maybe he'll sign up for the Olympics and prove me wrong. Anyway.......

If someone needs to use sights or a sighting system to become proficient, IMO there's nothing wrong with that. I think it's much more impressive and fullfilling to hit the spot with a sight or aiming system vs. missing or wounding but being able to say "I did it the 'right' way".

Using sights or some sort of aiming system (which 99.9% of us do, admit it or not, realize it or not) isn't the end of the world, and can be a big help in progressing towards being able to shoot without sights or conciously aiming. If I hadn't first used sights on a compound--first several, then before I swapped to traditional I only used one pin--it's not likely I would have figured out how to "gap" shoot. If I hadn't learned to gap, most likely I would have given up out of frustration. Now I don't conciously aim at all, and I reckon I do ok.

Chad

Quick Reply: aiming a recurve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.