Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 I finally did it!! Razor sharp Snuffers. >

I finally did it!! Razor sharp Snuffers.

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

I finally did it!! Razor sharp Snuffers.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default I finally did it!! Razor sharp Snuffers.

After various failed attempts, sacrificing a couple chickens, doing a rain dance and having to go off on a week long vision quest, I finally pulled off what I thought was never gonna happen for me.........shaving sharp Snuffers. [:-]

With the help from the Snuffer sharpening kit that 3 Rivers sells I officially have hunting ready Snuffers. (nevermind that the season is 6 months away LOL) It changes the fat 30 degree bevel down to a shallower 24 degree.

I follwed the instructions to a T.
10 swipes per blade set down the files with good pressure for a total of 150 to cut the new 24 degree bevel, check the edge to make sure the bevel is even with no "skips", then another round of trips down the file with no pressure turning after each pass to remove any burrs, then finish with the leather strop drawing the head backwards across it to polish the edge. You can feel it getting smoother with each pass.

Bingo. I have nice bald patch on my left wrist for my efforts.
Now I'm excited to use these heads because they fly great and are the exact weight I wanted (150gr screw in)

The kit is $29.99 from 3 Rivers and looks like as long as you follow the directions and take care of your files you'll be good to go for a long time.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=57&s=23&p=269&i=4238
Old 03-28-2008, 06:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I finally did it!! Razor sharp Snuffers.

Congrates, and when are we eatin those birds you sacrificed? Im kinda hungary

I found the solution to that delima with three blade heads. I like the G5s, you just got to run them on a flat stone. They are beveled to where they will sharpen up real nice without having to watch your blade angle. Only thing, I think im going back to two blades with all my trad gear. I just like the penetration of a two blade better.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I found the solution to that delima with three blade heads. I like the G5s, you just got to run them on a flat stone. They are beveled to where they will sharpen up real nice without having to watch your blade angle. Only thing, I think im going back to two blades with all my trad gear. I just like the penetration of a two blade better.
Ya think so? Try that with Snuffers. LOL
I tried every stupid stone and flat file known to mankind. I could get them "sharp" but not shaving sharp. LOL

I thought I had to be the only one until Arthur and everyone else chimed in that they couldn't do it either. Well except for Shultzy and his magic crock sticks!

Old 03-28-2008, 07:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Ive never shot or tried to sharpen snuffers. I guess i stay clear of them.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Ya think so? Try that with Snuffers. LOL
I tried every stupid stone and flat file known to mankind. I could get them "sharp" but not shaving sharp. LOL

I thought I had to be the only one until Arthur and everyone else chimed in that they couldn't do it either. Well except for Shultzy and his magic crock sticks!
Smart ass!! Right out of the package straight to my white crocksticks. Takes me 15 to 20 minutes per head if there not cut to rough. If there cut pretty rough I'm in trouble then. They usually get put on practice arrows then.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

You 2 don't like each other or what?
Old 03-28-2008, 07:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

After various failed attempts, sacrificing a couple chickens, doing a rain dance and having to go off on a week long vision quest, I finally pulled off what I thought was never gonna happen for me.........shaving sharp Snuffers. [:-]

With the help from the Snuffer sharpening kit that 3 Rivers sells I officially have hunting ready Snuffers. (nevermind that the season is 6 months away LOL) It changes the fat 30 degree bevel down to a shallower 24 degree.

I follwed the instructions to a T.
10 swipes per blade set down the files with good pressure for a total of 150 to cut the new 24 degree bevel, check the edge to make sure the bevel is even with no "skips", then another round of trips down the file with no pressure turning after each pass to remove any burrs, then finish with the leather strop drawing the head backwards across it to polish the edge. You can feel it getting smoother with each pass.

Bingo. I have nice bald patch on my left wrist for my efforts.
Now I'm excited to use these heads because they fly great and are the exact weight I wanted (150gr screw in)

The kit is $29.99 from 3 Rivers and looks like as long as you follow the directions and take care of your files you'll be good to go for a long time.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?c=57&s=23&p=269&i=4238
Congrats on finally getting er done Matt!!
Old 03-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

You 2 don't like each other or what?
Ive just never tried them.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ive just never tried them.
They're nasty things. (especially now) I killed my very first deer with one back in the day (When they were Rothaar), and now I've come full circle.

Can't wait to zip one from the ground blind.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Dominant Buck

That looks a lot like the G5s.

Which are designedwith the beveled edges to where when they lay flat, they are in the right angle to sharpen. You can easily get them razor sharp with a fine stone. For a three blade, they are great.

Quick Reply: I finally did it!! Razor sharp Snuffers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.