Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Gap and instinctive both????? >

Gap and instinctive both?????

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Gap and instinctive both?????

Old 03-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Gap and instinctive both?????

I finished up a bow for a man that I know, and as I was shooting it in, I thought I’d take it out and see if I could find a hog to shoot with it. While I was out, I did see a nice hog and put and arrow in it. I noticed when I shoot at a set target, like a hog or deer, I gap shoot. Well as I was walking back to my truck, I jumped a rabbit. I knocked another arrow and thought if another comes out, I’ll give it a shot. My kids have never eaten rabbit and have asked about it. Just as I get to my truck, I jump another cotton tail and slung an arrow at it. I then realized, I instinctive shoot when aiming at moving targets like fish, rabbits, etc., But when I am shooting at more sedentary game, I gap shoot. I have never even paied attention to it, and just realized it. Amazing what you will learn about yourself when you just stop and smell the roses. By the way, the rabbit was eat up with fleas so I left it for the yotes. The kids will have to wait.

What does this have to dowithanything? I guess nothing, just thinking out loud.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:20 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Gap and instinctive both?????

I don't think it's all that unusual, especially for folks that have been shooting for a while. Rod Jenkins is a gap shooter, but he's also one of the best I've seen on aireal targets. His explanation is your brain does the gapping for you, faster than you can do it conciously--after you've been shooting for a while.

I con't conciously gap, but I know I do because I shoot pretty crappy at "coon shoots" where I can't see my arrow. I don't normally snap shoot, but I can and often do when bowfishing, and have done it when hunting. I killed a whitetail this past season that just appeared in front of my blind (I'd dozed off). By the time I figured out it was a deer, it started moving and in a few steps would be gone--I don't even remember shooting, I just did.

It is pretty cool when you realize you can do it though, although I still much rather take a slow, focused shot over a snap shot any day.

Chad
Old 03-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I tell ya if I look at my arrow or tip when at draw or coming to full draw I'm lost, I'll miss big time! I just concentrate and sort of stare at the point of impact of where I want my arrow to go, come to anchor point, check and release!!!
Old 03-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

To tell you the truth I don't really know what I do?
LOL

I set my bow arm , focus on the target, imagine the trajectory, draw, hit anchor (i'm vaguely aware of the position of my arrow as it relates to the target)pause for a count and release.

I guess it's instinctive but I know I'm concious of that arrow as I draw. I definitely don't use the tip as an aiming device but I can feel if it will be high or low?

I know I'm pretty darn accurate out to about 18 yards even on the first arrow which will be great for hunting but I suspect that if I want to start serious 3D shooting with traditional bows that I better learn a reference aiming method.
I just ordered Rod's shooting DVD's from 3 Rivers archery. Should screw me right up!
Old 03-26-2008, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Should screw me right up!
Funny stuff Matt! Those DVD's scare me, I have to wait to order any, to much info for me to handle just yet!
Old 03-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

I tell ya if I look at my arrow or tip when at draw or coming to full draw I'm lost, I'll miss big time! I just concentrate and sort of stare at the point of impact of where I want my arrow to go, come to anchor point, check and release!!!
Me too Big Joe!! I've tried looking at my arrow and or tip of it and I was useless with the recurve in my hand. I've been shooting these recurve's from 3 years old and on and I've always stared at where I'm hoping to hit. It just seems the natural way for me I guess being thats how I was taught at a young age. Good stuff there Burnie! You learned something about yourself that you didn't know, one always seems to learn more when your by yourself shooting.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:22 PM
bigcountry

I know I go back and forth. Lately, I have been on a hot streak shooting, only staring at the spot to hit. I notice the problem lies when I get busy for a few weeks, and do not get to go out and shoot a few times a week. I then resort back togap for a few daysand then jump back to instintive.

there seems like there are two spots in the year I don't shoot at all for like a complete month.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:10 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I just ordered Rod's shooting DVD's from 3 Rivers archery.
Not meaning to get off-topic, but what are those? Do you mean the "Masters of the Barebow" DVD's?

Rod has a pretty good segment in the first one on his style of shooting, but it's nowhere near in-depth enough to "get it". Those vids are entertaining, and show a lot of different techniques and styles, but not enough info. on any of them to really learn how to do it. I have both, and like to watch them, but they aren't anything I'd recommend for someone to learn to shoot with.

Chad
Old 03-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

[/blockquote]
Me too Big Joe!! I've tried looking at my arrow and or tip of it and I was useless with the recurve in my hand. I've been shooting these recurve's from 3 years old and on and I've always stared at where I'm hoping to hit. It just seems the natural way for me I guess being thats how I was taught at a young age. Good stuff there Burnie! You learned something about yourself that you didn't know, one always seems to learn more when your by yourself shooting.
The key is to have your primary focus on your intended target and the arrow andtip in your peripheral vision.It takes some getting use to..
Old 03-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not meaning to get off-topic, but what are those? Do you mean the "Masters of the Barebow" DVD's?
I'm sorry Chad, I had a brain fart there for a second.......I meant Rick Welch. 9which sounds alot like Rod Jenkins I know LOL )
It's funny too because I haven't been around traditional shooting long enough yet to start to recognize different froms but I have had 3 different people now who have been around traditional archery for a while tell me my form looks exactly like Rick Welch's after seeing me shoot.

I figured "Ok, I might as well find out who Rick Welch is"
Apparently he can shoot.........and if I have anything that resembles his form maybe I can start to learn myself. LOL

Quick Reply: Gap and instinctive both?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.