Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Elitist attitude

Old 03-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Elitist attitude

"#1 Regardless if the thing has 95% let-off, you still have to be able to pull the peak weight, even if just for asplit second. That is going to keepbows within the boundaries of human physical abilities. Not so with crossbows--with prods and other cocking devices, you can get them in outrageous weights, which will mean in time you will be getting outrageous performance/distance."

Crap...Unless you have actually worked with and or built crossbows this is nothing more than an assuption. The prod being shorter and having MUCH less travel than a vertical bow requires substantialy more power just to equal a vertical bow. Unless they build a crossbow with a 29" powerstroke, or one that is 400lb that would blow up on the second shot then you willnever greatly surpass what modern compounds will achieve.

"#2 You can't prop a bow. Sure, somebody will come up with some special situation where they were able to get off a shot like that, but it's not normal or usual. Propping up a crossbow is as simple as propping up a rifle. Add scope and 300#+ limbs, 80+ yd shots are feasable."

OK, because of the reduced mass and lack of SUSTAINABLE kenetic energy in even the fastest crossbows that assinine distance shot is not only unethical, but next to impossible...a modern compound however....THEY have done those shots..

AND as far as "You cant prop up a bow.." take a look below.....Obviously BOWHUNTER and ARCHERS using BOWS have a desire for this and still feel that their compound is a "BOW"

OH...as far as me poking fun...till I stop hearing "Its not a bow cause "I" dont think it is a bow" and you acknowlage facts you bet I will poke fun at you...obviously I cant take you seriously...

Wyvern
Old 03-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

So THIS is archery???
Wyvern

Old 03-04-2008, 10:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Ok, lets change to another, less mentioned "atrocity". What about the draw aids? How you traditionalist think of that? You know the thing that the one armed man came up with so he could draw a bow and lock it then shoot it with his mouth while holding the bow with his brace hand. I’ve seen kids shooting 80lb bows with these things. It’s sold as an aid for new bow hunters, disabled hunters, and for kids.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Fork Horn

"What about the draw aids?"

STAMPING MY FEET.... "THATS NOT A BOW AND ITS NOT ARCHERY!!!!"

Wow...that is actually kinda fun

Wyvern
Old 03-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

Old 03-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Have any of you considered just how far these things might go? Once they are accepted (read as profitable)to the point that companies are willing to pour the cash into r/d, there's no telling what they will come up with.

Is this really what bowhunting is all about? What happened to the old adage about bowhunting being about getting close? About the challenge?
Exactlythe same arguments we were usingin the late 60's/early 70's trying to keep the infernal compound device out of bow seasons. They didn't work then and they won't work now.

Chad, I agree with you on each and every point, as a traditional bowhunter. Problem is, traditional bowhunters are such a small portion of the whole that we have no real say in what happens with bowhunting. We can complain, wail, gnash our teeth and tear out our hair, all to no avail. The high tech guys simply slap us down and tell us to shut up, demonizing us as 'elitists' or simply dismissing us altogether.

We're just along for the ride, in a littlecart tiedbehind their wagon. We can only go where they take us and they're taking us straight into crossbow territory. Years ago, I was forced to accept the compound. In the following years, Ieven embraced it, in my own way. I can now see that we are eventually going to be forced to accept the crossbow in exactly the same manner. And, as my physical condition has deteriorated, I've embraced the crossbow... again in my own way. I doubt I'll ever be a proponent of the crossbow, butthose old anti-compound wars taught methe futility in fighting a lost battle.

For long after the compound came along, there were those clear and demonstrable differences I mentioned earlier, and they were defined enough to keep crossbows at bay for many years. Now those differences have become blurred and ill defined. So much so that the crossbow afficionados can draw very close parallels with the compound, and they are using those parallels in their arguments in front of the various game commissions to get their weapon accepted. They are gathering momentum and there is no stopping them.

Again, I've seen it all before. History is repeating itself.

All anyone can do in the face of adversity is to cling to their own principles. I'm not advising you or anyone esle to keep quiet and not speak their mind. Just make sure you're looking reality square in the eye when you do speak out.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've been hunting for 37 years. When you've been at it that long you eventually understand that times change, hunting styles change, and even personal perspectives and preferences can change as one gets older and (hopefully) wiser. Given that, folks just need to learn to share the woods with their fellow hunters. If they can't, it may be time to take up golf.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Dominant Buck

Something else. How many of you tag your deer exclusivly during bow season?

I usually tag one doe before bow seaon ends. I then tag the rest of my deer during the regular season with my bow. The guns dont keep me from hunting with my stick bows. Bag limits will keep those horrid compound, crossbow, and gun shooters from shooting up all my deer. Heck, my cousin hunts 200 yards from me with his rifle while I hunt with my bow.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:13 AM
Banned

Fred Bear very much approved of poison pods FYI

Oh well.....it's just an opinion--not like it will affect the price of gas or anything like that.
I think it matters LBR, I really do, more and more

They have as much in common with a crossbow as a crossbow has in common with a recurve
no - gunpowder is the source of the energy, not two limbs and a string

Have any of you considered just how far these things might go? Once they are accepted (read as profitable)to the point that companies are willing to pour the cash into r/d, there's no telling what they will come up with.
We've had them in Arkansas for 30+ years, I think I know where they've come and how they affect deer season don't you ?

But lets assume that it does happen, triple and quadruple bowhunting numbers ...... so what ? Thats still a lot less then hit the woods in gun seasons, and its a lot less than the numbers of compounders that invaded archery season isn't it ?

You're talking about a weapon commercialized and sold to hunters which sway the tides of G&F to allow them in ..... compounds did that, crossbows might very well do it too.

Same thing traditionalists fought and lost for, are compounders afraid of the very thing that allows them to hunt in archery season ?

How ironic

#1 Regardless if the thing has 95% let-off, you still have to be able to pull the peak weight, even if just for asplit second. That is going to keepbows within the boundaries of human physical abilities. Not so with crossbows--with prods and other cocking devices, you can get them in outrageous weights, which will mean in time you will be getting outrageous performance/distance.
you've got to cock that crossbow, but even then yes there is a difference and not NEARLY as dramtic a one as comparing compounds to recurve. Thats radically differnt too isn't it ? (but we're not suppose to talk about that huh ?)

#2 You can't prop a bow. Sure, somebody will come up with some special situation where they were able to get off a shot like that, but it's not normal or usual. Propping up a crossbow is as simple as propping up a rifle. Add scope and 300#+ limbs, 80+ yd shots are feasable. The race is on--who can make the fastest, longest-range, EASIEST weapon on the market.
Compounds have won the easiest for decades LBR, and yes, I "prop" up when I shoot quite often. Cam on the knee at full draw is the easiest way to hold for a long time. Also dropping your anchor arm to your chest makes it easier to hold back too.

Is this really what bowhunting is all about? What happened to the old adage about bowhunting being about getting close? About the challenge? Or has it gone down the same road as most everything else--make it as quick and easy and simple as possible

funny you mention that ..... I challenge you to go hunting next fall with a crossbow. What you will find, is that your stands will be very close to how they are now. Your setupf, your hunting .... it won't REALLY change too much LBR. I know, I've done all three.

what WILL change is when its time to shoot. A crossbow you wait until the animal is there, maneuvering for a shot, put the sights on the lungs and pull the trigger. A compound you draw before the animal can detect you, hold, when it steps out, sights on lungs, pull trigger. Different YES but not too much really.

A recurve or longbow ? You have to wait until that animal is RIGHT THERE, full poundage of bow in your hand - no letoffs. Radically different and anyone who's shot the three knows it.

LBR your last posts echo my thoughts too. What bowhunting WAS and what it IS are not the same anymore.

Its not crossbows that did it either, its compounds. If you can allow one, you MUST allow the other for the same reasons.

I've yet to see a valid reason not too

Problem is, traditional bowhunters are such a small portion of the whole that we have no real say in what happens with bowhunting

funny, we use to BE the bowhunters with compounds knocking at the window like crossbowers are doing now right ?

I've been hunting for 37 years. When you've been at it that long you eventually understand that times change, hunting styles change, and even personal perspectives and preferences can change as one gets older and (hopefully) wiser. Given that, folks just need to learn to share the woods with their fellow hunters. If they can't, it may be time to take up golf.
Lanse couche couchesorry man, you have NO IDEA. None. Until you're TRIED traditional archery you have no idea the difference there is. Its so totally different ..... well you just can't understand is all. Its like trying to explain wet to someone who's never been in the water.

Traditional bowhunting is a way of life, its a WAY, not a weapon, not a pick it up 2 weeks before the season and scramble to get some arrows. Its not buying more and more technology to make it EASIER either. Its not about speed or KE or any of that. It goes so far as to eclipse the hunting part and bleeds over into the men and women themselvesI think, changing them into a different type of sportsman.

I strongly urge everyone to walk a year in a traditionalbowhunters shoes.It will show you hunting you've never dreamed existed.

THAT is what is missing in bowhunting nowdays and its all because of technology being allowed into archery season
Old 03-04-2008, 11:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well Burnie, you will be singing a different tune when those new style blowgun hunters start setting up their stands next to you[8D]

And Duane, have you ever tried hunting for an extended period with a crossbow before developing your perspective?? Hunting is an individual experience and, sorry dude, but you are flat out of your mind, if you think that just because you love a particular style that it would be a mindblowing experience for everyone else.

Quick Reply: Elitist attitude

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.