Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Elitist attitude

Old 02-28-2008, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Elitist attitude

In all fairness here, this thread has probably gone places that it was never intended to. I personaly think the "is it a bow or not" crossbow debate tends to do very little to sway either side and generaly just ends up with some bad feelings. It is what it is and at some point each of us willhave to re-define what it means to us.Ultimately, we are all working to keep archery in the forms we choose to use going and that is worthy of praise. This part of the forum is supposed to be for traditional archery discussion and I dont think we are accomplishing much here that has anything to do with traditional archery. I say we agree to dissagree, and move on to better things

Wyvern
Old 02-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree to agree....I'll go shoot some arrows threw one ofMY bows..
Old 02-28-2008, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

they remove one of the main challenges of bowhunting (drawing and/or holdingin the presence of game).
As do any of the 100's of ground blinds being sold and (to a lesser but still a significant extent) tree stands - depending on heigth.

You can pull an 80%, 50# compound (10# hold) rest the lower limb on your leg, and hold easily several minutes and still make a killing shot.
And there are some models now adjustible up to 99% letoff. These methods and equipment seem to meet the "removes the challanges" arguement every bit as much as the xbow supposedly does.

Something to think about is all.

Steve
Old 02-29-2008, 06:00 AM
Banned

What makes it LEGAL to use during archery season depends on the state's definition--that doesn't make it a different weapon.
EXACTLY ! So what DOES make something this weapon or that ?

Regardless though, most states do not recognize a crossbow as standard archery equipment. As I keep saying--if it were, then no special permit would be required.
My crossbow in Arkansas is 100% archery. Its State defined as such. Like its already been stated, its steeped in Archery history, unlike compounds which you recognize as archery right ?

I cross the Mississippi river and that weapon changes into a non-archery thing, right ?

Exaplain that to me LBR. How does it CHANGE ?

You didn't use a good analogy there, you neglected to mention the limbs of the bow, and THAT is what delivers the energy to the arrow via the string.

Thats what makes a bow, isn't it ?

Why call it a bow? Here's my take on it. A bow doesn't have a stock, it doesn't have a forearm, it can't be propped up to steady the shot, it can't sit at ready for hours on end but rather must be drawn in the presence of game.....personally I'm not too fond of trigger releases and 80+% let-off, but that's a different discussion.
Chad why is it a differnt discussion ? I sense elitism in that statement, that you too feel technology has come to far with teh 80% letoffs, triggered releases etc. True ?

Every year more and more is allowed in the definition of archery. Every year more states allow crossbows for everyone too.

If a crossbow can be considered a bow, then why can't a slingshot that fires arrows be a bow? Or a converted rifle that fires bolts? I see it as a slippery slope, possibly leading to one season for all.
Does a slingshot have limbs ? If it does, I guess it COULD be a bow. Your firearm doesn't have limbs either, and it uses gunpowder for it source of energy. That exclude it from being a bow

Wyvern Crossbow do you agree that allowing scopes on crossbows is a mistake ? Take the scopes away and they are not nearly the weapon they are with them.

Ok, I was willing to have an intelligent conversation with you until this statement. Anyone that has been in archery at any length, knows this is not the norm.
bigcountrywhat are your experiences with a crossbow ?

Can ya'll not see how this thread is going though ? I feel somewhat elite in that I choose difficult archery tackle. I FEEL like I'm doing it the hard way, and seeing people take shortcuts ....... compounds & crossbows .... I wonder is they're missing something, or maybe I'm getting cheated out of something. This is a true feeling, its not something I'm rabid with but it IS something I think about.

And ya'll thing EXACTLY the same way - but its not towards the compounders but towards the crossbows.

Elitism, thinking, feeling, knowing that "they" are taking all the shortcuts and hunting the same seasons as you and you're working so much harder with much more primitive weapons. Aint fair is it ?

If compounders can say that about crossbows, why can't I (as a recurve shooter) say that about compounds ? And why can't a self bow shooter say that about me ?

Old 02-29-2008, 06:06 AM
Banned

I compound hunted last fall. I had a very nice buck coming in (140" 8 point) and at 35 yards I drew on him. 35-40 yards is easy grouping with a compound. As I drew, he stopped, straight at me. I shooting sitting down, and I was at full draw, and place the lower cam on my knee. And I waited. I held at full draw maybe 90 seconds, and then he moved from my left to right, stepped out at 35 yards right with the sun rising at his back [&o]which makes for a difficult shot. Anyway, I didn't get that deer (my buddy killed him a few days later) but my point is, I didn't draw in the presence of that deer. I drew BEFORE he got into my presence, and then waited. Had the sun not been where it was, I'm 100% certain I'd have killed him. I hunted compound for years, I know what they can do.

My point is, only with a trad bow do you have to draw in the presence of game
Old 02-29-2008, 06:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Old 02-29-2008, 08:06 AM
Fork Horn

Guys...I am staying out of this at this point. No amount of facts will change the opinions of some people and it is really just a waste of my time....

Wyvern
Old 02-29-2008, 08:13 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

[*]curved piece of resilient wood with taut cord to propel arrows

A weapon consisting of a curved, flexible strip of material, especially wood, strung taut from end to end and used to launch arrows.

A weapon made of a strip of wood, or other elastic material, with a cord connecting the two ends, by means of which an arrow is propelled.

There's a few definitions of the word "bow". A crossbow impliments a bow, but it isn't just a bow--it's a bow plus.

Along the same lines you could put a semi-automatic or automatic rifle in the same category as a single-shot. They all have the same basic parts, the semi-auto and auto are just single shot rifles plus. You could even make the stretch to include a single shot, semi-auto, and auto in the same category as a muzzleloader if you want to call a crossbow a bow. All the rifles have a stock, forearm and barrel, all fire a bullet and use powder being ignited to propell the bullet--now try explaining to the game warden why you feel it's just fine to use a semi-auto .270 during muzzleloader season--after all, they are the same weapon, right?

Again, I have no problem with the weapon itself, or with people who enjoy them. I simply don't see them as being just another type of archery equipment anymore than I see a semi-auto rifle as being just another type of muzzleloader.

Chad
Old 02-29-2008, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Guys...I am staying out of this at this point. No amount of facts will change the opinions of some people and it is really just a waste of my time....

Wyvern
That's why I opted out 10 pages ago
Everyone has their own set in stone beliefs and we can argue or discussit til' we're blue in the face. We're all right andeach one of usknow it. Nothing is going to change that and we'll only go another 1,000 pages with the same positions.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:47 AM
Banned

curved piece of resilient wood with taut cord to propel arrows

A weapon consisting of a curved, flexible strip of material, especially wood, strung taut from end to end and used to launch arrows.

A weapon made of a strip of wood, or other elastic material, with a cord connecting the two ends, by means of which an arrow is propelled.

There's a few definitions of the word "bow". A crossbow impliments a bow, but it isn't just a bow--it's a bow plus.
LBR no "bow" fits the above except a longbow or a recurve. You've just "defined" bows to exclude all compounds, you know that, right ?

I like discussing these things, I think its very important. Views DO change - look at how 30 years agao compounds were hated, and now they're the bulk of what archers use. Opinions change guys

Quick Reply: Elitist attitude

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.