Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Hog hunting

Old 02-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default Hog hunting

Can anyone tell me what draw weight I need to take a wild hog?
Old 02-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hog hunting

I shoot them with my 56 @ 28 recurve, my 60 @ 28 long bows, 50 @ 28 long bow etc. I would not go less than 50lbs at the respective draw lenght. Ive got hogs all over my land and I will shot 7 to 8 a year. The key is to stay out of the shield. Best shot with trad gear is to get a slight quartering away so you can slip the arrow behind the shield and into the vitals. A hogs skin way more thick than a deer. Especially when they get older and start fighting. The shield gets rather thick. Stay out of the shield, unless you want to loose arrows or track endlessly with no result.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:12 AM
Fork Horn

For hogs you actually need a min 65 pound draw bow and a 800 grain arrow don't let anyone say you can use less[:-]

OK just pulling your leg.

I have seen and would use a 45 pound draw at your draw length bow with a properly tuned arrow sporting a two blade broadhead, Just stay away from that shoulder, that cartalidge(sp) shield is darn near impossible to get through. What I use is a 55 pound draw bow. my new one is 54#
Old 02-22-2008, 05:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

My recurve is 49#s and Ikilled my first hog with it a couple of months ago.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:04 PM

You will not need to shoot heavy tackle, in fact arrow placement is your best friend, next to a really sharp broadhead. I have killed dozens of hogs all with archery gear, so here is the real deal, if you are shooting draw weights in the 40 to 50 pound range, get a strong, razor sharp, two blade head. My fiancee' shoots in the 40-44pound range shooting a couple of custom made longbows, killing hogs are not a problem for her at those weights, nor is penatration. We both limit our shooting on hogs to the typical 15-20 yard shots, not because they won't do the job at the longer ranges but because arrow placement is so important.

The area of impact on broadside shots for hogs should be right above the elbow of the shoulder or right at the angle of the shoulder. If you don't believe me, go to www.texasboars.com, they have a real hog that shows the cut away of the sweet spot. Shoot a hog like you would shoot a deer, and you will be feeding coyotes, and the like. The guts come forward darn near to the shoulder, while a quartering shot is one I won't pass on, it is by no means a requirement. By the way, we do most of our hog killing from the gound, I think it provides the best angle for a good killing shot.

So if you just want to shoot a heavy bow go ahead, but most people I know that are hog hunters are laying them low with well placed shots from bows 40 - 60 pounds of draw weight. Oh! just make sure you get that arrow weight up, the FOC correct, and a sharp broadhead. If shooting below 50 pounds I would suggest you stay with a two blade cut on contact design, if over that, any of the three blades such as the Woodman, MA3, being my favorites, or a snuffer.......
Old 02-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys! I really want to whack a pig with my Checkmate Falcon real bad. It hasn't been bloodied yet! I will use it with Snuffers. But I am going to take my Vulcan and Exocet 200 just in case I get frustrated.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Dnk

Thanks guys! I really want to whack a pig with my Checkmate Falcon real bad. It hasn't been bloodied yet! I will use it with Snuffers. But I am going to take my Vulcan and Exocet 200 just in case I get frustrated.
Some day I'd like to do this hog hunting stuff!! Good luck, can't go wrong with those snuffers! My bloodtrails are incredible with mine.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Steve just ask a pig farmer if you can shoot one when they butcher...O-Wait...That would be conciderd a low fence hunt .
I too would like to go on a wild pighunt...
Old 02-27-2008, 10:09 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ranger56528

Steve just ask a pig farmer if you can shoot one when they butcher...O-Wait...That would be conciderd a low fence hunt .
Well James, you were invited! Apparently a small think like work got in the way, I can still swing by and pick you up. I am leaving tomorrow morning!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Dnk

ORIGINAL: ranger56528

Well James, you were invited! Apparently a small think like work got in the way, I can still swing by and pick you up. I am leaving tomorrow morning!
Good luck!

Quick Reply: Hog hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.