Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Got me Interested

Old 02-15-2008, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default Got me Interested

I'm thinking about entering the traditional world. What is the best way to go? Recurve or Long Bow? What is a decent bow to get that is not going to break the bank if I decide that its not for me?
Old 02-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Got me Interested

When faced with the same choice I went with a recurve, I learned on one and it fit my shooting style better from the start. Mine is a PSE Kudu that cost $250 at Cabela's at the time I bought it.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:23 AM
Dominant Buck

All personal pref. Most people start with one and end up shooting both. I started with recurves back in the late 70s. Learned with recurves, went to compounds in the 80s and picked up long bows soon after.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with a long bow...Although I have shot both...for me..there is something unique about a kill with a longbow in hand....For some reason the long bow makes me feel more like an indian

Also - When you go to an Osage self bow...shooting off the knuckle...its different...try'em all!! Took a doe with flint wrapped in Sinew....it was the biggest accomplishment I've ever experienced since I hit the ground hunting at 11 years old in 1986. Have fun....start out in an area that holds small bucks and lots of doe(s).[8D]..I don't want to see you lose your mind on a 150+ during your first year of Trad...it could make you go back to buttons and whistles really fast....get confident....practice....and put some deer under your belt with traditional...thats the key...you gotta put deer on the ground....thats how you will grow and become more successful....

Here is a doe I took 1997with a homemade laminate longbow by Dennie Rowe of Michigan..Purple Wood & Osage....Cedar 4 fletched arrows....Zwickey Heads

Old 02-17-2008, 10:22 PM

I second both personal prefrence and practice... if you want to practice at home its pretty easy to make yourself a target. Thats what I did when I started as a kid, gwt yourself some 2x4's or metal rods if your a welder, either way make about a 4'x2'x2' frame (more or less), wrap it in chicken wire and fill it with newspaper, attach some stirafome to the front, then just print or buy some targets and youv got yourself a ready made target at home. Confidence is everything, nothing like a few bullseyes to help enjoy your new recurve or longbow!
Old 02-19-2008, 04:25 PM
Typical Buck

i think all bow selection is the same. shoot all styles and many different brands. see what you like. longbows are pretty simplistic and you may decide to make your own selfbow. there are some nice "follow-along" instructions on the web
Old 02-19-2008, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ttt