Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

heavier broadhead

Old 02-10-2008, 08:16 PM

Default heavier broadhead

just had a new longbow made. beautiful bow. bowyer nailed it, built everything i asked. during the fine tuning process got a beman 500 classic with a 175 grain field point paper tuned. they were made for one another. now i have the bow, and the arrows are on order. much to my dismay i've just realized the G5 broadheads i had been using only go up to 140 grains, and at first glance in some of the other catalogs there aren't alot ofoptions over 125grains which is what i have been accustomed to shooting. now that i've been sold on increasing the F.O.C. and fine tuned my new bow, what do i do about a broadhead? i like to practice similarlyto my hunting setup.

jim
Old 02-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: heavier broadhead

Magnus makes a 145 grain broadhead if your looking to go heavier. Its called a snuffer, there a 3 blade head, you can get them as heavy as 185 grain I think.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:53 AM
Fork Horn

Yea, I don't think you are done tuning if all you have done is shoot the bow with field points. Anyhow, I like your last sentance,
Go with a glue on broadhead and adapter. I shoot a 145 grain Snuffer with a 30 grain adapter.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you like the Montec,go with a 125head and use 50gr brass inserts
Old 02-11-2008, 06:46 AM
Banned

JimPic is correct, you can get varying weights of brass/stell inserts to beef up your broadhead & FOC weight

Have you read Dr Ashby's reports ? he says the best setsups are greater than 650 grains, 190 Grain Grizzly broadheads and steel adapters to grossly load up the FOC on the setups - I'm becoming a believer by reading his reports, they all make sense

my future setup will hopefully be graphlex shafting and those big El Grande's and a 700 grain total weight arrow out of a 54# Zipper recurve
Old 02-11-2008, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

You may want to look into getting brass inserts.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Wensell Woodsman are 150grain and a fine broadhead. Montec made tha Skote a few years back, a 2 blade head 150grain for trad and bigger game. they don't make them anymore. Montec said they did'nt sell enough so the stoped makeing them. You still find them on-line if you search the Web!!! They were a nice broadhead, byt you had to work on they to sharpen them. Goodluck

Hatchet Jack
Old 02-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Thats the reason I cut my shafts for the head I like instead of getting the head to match the shaft. Im lazy and dont like to be limited to special orders.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try Alaska Bowhunting supply they sell some heavy heads and inserts!

Hatchet Jack
Old 02-12-2008, 05:49 AM

thanks for all the great input. i have read Dr Ashbys report and i do believe the data he has published. this is a new bow to me and so far it paper tuned with the beman 500 and 175 grain point. i sent for the field point test heads sold at 3 rivers and will experiment more with a heavier FOC, but clean flight was also an important factor in Dr Ashbys' equasion in which he determined penatration. i will go as heavy as i can without trading clean flight. thanks to your responces i will have few options when it comes to making the switch to a broadhead. on aluminum and carbon arrows, so far i have had good luck with the G5's, on woods i generally use wendsell woodsmans. i have not even begun to experiment with woods yet.

enjoying the input.

Thanks

jim

Quick Reply: heavier broadhead

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.