Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

B-50 vs 450+

Old 11-17-2007, 05:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default B-50 vs 450+

Here's the story. I had spent the past couple of years using up my supply of B-50 string material. Finally got it all used up. In the meantime, we moved to a new house and my string jig got messed up during the move. I then found myself in desperate need for a new string to go on my longbow. When I made the bow, I reinforced the tips to handle fastflight type material and I intended to go back to it when I ran out of B-50. So, rather than order the stuff and make a new jig, I just ordered a couple of 450+ strings from Chad.

Got 'em in today. Naturally, first thing I had to do was string up my longbow and go give 'em a workout. I knew the B-50 was making the bow shoot doggly, but I'd forgotten how fast and sweet the bow shot with the right kind of string. All the handshock was gone, but I'd gotten accustomed to shooting with the slower arrow speed and now the thing is zipping arrows downrange like nobody's business. Everything I shot went high.

After a half hour on the practice range, I just had to hit the 3D course. Well.... I missed a few times. Right down the middle but high. One arrow glanced off the back of a target and zoomed off to who knows where. Heard it rattling through the woods for a long time before it quit. Two others missed clean, plowed into tree trunks and broke. So now, here I am with new strings, but low on ammo. Gotta make up some more arrows. And I've got to relearn my trajectory.

Ain't putting no more B-50 on this bow, I guarantee ya that.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:23 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: B-50 vs 450+

One thing I have done is use the string material to accomidate my arrows. For example I was too stiff with B-50 and 2016 arrows with one bow, but as soon as got Chad to make me a 450+, now the 2016's are weak, in fact, I now shoot 2018's with 145gr tips on that bow.

I like the 450+ cause I don't have to worry about strtch.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:01 PM
Typical Buck

Sound like you've got it set now. Something I've noticed over the years is that certain bows do like certain string materials. I've had bows that felt really harsh with low stretch string materials that became sweet as sugar with B-50. I've also experienced the opposite where a bow had a bit of handshock or vibrationwith B-50 but calmed right down with a low stretch material such as 450+, 8125 or D-75. Sometimes you've just got to play around with some different things to get the most out of a bow. Most of my bows sport 8125 strings except for two. One is an older bow and the other just doesn't like the material. You can feel a vibration through the riser when using it, so it sports a D-75 string.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:22 PM
bigcountry

One thing I can add is I only saw 2-4fps difference with 450+ on two different bows. Surprised it changed your flight that much. Might be due to your long draw.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:20 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Speed gains will vary depending on the bow, how the strings were made, how many strands, etc. etc. etc.

Art, yours were "ropes" compared to what a lot of folks like with the low stretch materials, but I personally don't like tiny strings, and I've heard about the tiny 450+ strings not holding up, so........

FWIW, I've heard about a 20+ fps gain on one bow when the string was changed, but that one was the exception. The same string material used on a different bow lost 5 fps--go figure. I didn't make the strings on either one, but the fellow that did make the strings (and chrony'd the bows) knows his stuff.

Chad
Old 11-18-2007, 08:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't like thin strings either, Chad. 'Ropes' are fine by me. Skinny strings hurt my widdle piddies.

Ya know, I just thought of another difference... This is the first time I've tried Halo serving. I can tell it's a lot different from the braided FF serving I've been using because I can't get a tied on nockset to stay put. I had to use the brass crimp type instead. Probably picking up a few additional fps from the slicker serving material.

And the low stretch combined with the long power stroke probably does give a bit more fps bump than someone with a shorter draw length might see.