Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Frustrated!!!

Old 11-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Frustrated!!!

Whats this world coming too when it comes to bow hunting? I suredon't like this new wave of hunting ethics people are using these days, more so on the compound side of it then the traditional side of it! As bow hunters we are a small group of people, the easiest group for anti's to target! Is it just me or does anyone else have any concern's also? Sorry, i just had to vent a little!
Old 11-09-2007, 01:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Frustrated!!!

Now if you are making refernce to shot distance, as you posted in the moder bowhunting forum, then you need to consider everyones individual experince and skills. You were painting with an awfully broad brush over there. Like for instance; Ive been bow hunting for 30 years, give or take. I live in West Texas where you dont get lots of 10 15 yard shots. Most all the deer ivetaken are at 30 yard out. That is one of the reasons I dont get as many deer with my trad gear as I do my compounds. My limit on trad gear is 20 yards or so. Ive taken many animals out to 45+ yards with my compounds, but will let every thing walk if its over 20 with my trad gear. Heck, this year, both my doe and buck were taken past 20 yards. My doe was about 25 yards and my buck just under 45 yards. Like i mentioned on your other thread, its all about experience and knowing the animal.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Dominant Buck

My big problem is the QDM guys. The ones who will berate a person for taking a young buck and scream foul. Then they will turn around and shot a young doe. I thought QDM meant quality deer managment. Not quality antler managment.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

Now if you are making refernce to shot distance, as you posted in the moder bowhunting forum, then you need to consider everyones individual experince and skills. You were painting with an awfully broad brush over there. Like for instance; Ive been bow hunting for 30 years, give or take. I live in West Texas where you dont get lots of 10 15 yard shots. Most all the deer ivetaken are at 30 yard out. That is one of the reasons I dont get as many deer with my trad gear as I do my compounds. My limit on trad gear is 20 yards or so. Ive taken many animals out to 45+ yards with my compounds, but will let every thing walk if its over 20 with my trad gear. Heck, this year, both my doe and buck were taken past 20 yards. My doe was about 25 yards and my buck just under 45 yards. Like i mentioned on your other thread, its all about experience and knowing the animal.
Its not just the shot distance stuff that gets me, its theethics people are using in general!
Old 11-09-2007, 02:40 PM
bigcountry

Yea, I don't like it either. You see all these clowns that have limitations and try to force them on others because they are not good at something and say its ethics. When honestly, they have no idea what ethics mean.

So I know what you mean man.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear ya....I would like to see all the QDM deer these people are getting,where are all the pics of these so called 140-150-160 class deer.....Myself I like to shoot doe's,after all Iam in it for the hunt and meat,have you ever had Horn soup ?.I havent .
Any deer(doe,buck,fork,button) taken with a bow weather it be compound, trad or crossbow is a trophy in my book as long as its spot free or differant type of deer.
Most of my shoots are under 22-23 yards......
Old 11-10-2007, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

A lot of what you are saying is exactly what a whole lot of us feared, when we fought against legalization of compounds in the early days. In many ways, our point of view has been vindicated. Making bowhunting easier has brought a huge number of people into the sport. Good in many ways, but not so good in others.

A whole lot of them are gun hunters who approach bowhunting with that same gunhunter mentality. Many have no ethics but what is written in the regulations book. Then there are some that don't even worry too much about regs. But there are probably a lot more compounders than either of those groups who are just as dedicated and ethical as your average traditional bowhunter. Slopping paint on them with that same wide brush is extremely unfair.

Now, I am appalled that bowhunting has gotten so easy that bowhunters are now talking seriously about QDM. There was a time when bowhunting was considered low impact, recreational hunting. Now it's part of the states' overall herd management scheme. It has to be though.

Overall bowhunter success ratios are now around 40%, within 20-25 points of gun hunters' success ratios. Those who claim that hunting with a compound is so much harder than hunting with a rifle are close to making fools of themselves. Statistically, it's 2/3's as easy. (By the way, according to statistics from Ohio DNR, compound hunter success ratio is IDENTICAL to the crossbow hunter success ratio.) I can't help but wonder what the next great leap of bowhunting technology will be, that will close that final 20% gap and put us on equal footing with rifle hunters. What happens to our bow seasons when it does? That is what I worry about, more than ethics.

For the record, traditional bowhunting success ratios are around 12-15%, with a far lower wound/loss rate than compound bowhunters, according to the Oklahoma State Univ. study done at McAlester Army Ammo depot.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

the last phrase..is this due to ethics that most of us have,not takeing thous 40-50 yard shots,knowing the limitations of ourselfs and bow.I think so...
ORIGINAL: Arthur P

A lot of what you are saying is exactly what a whole lot of us feared, when we fought against legalization of compounds in the early days. In many ways, our point of view has been vindicated. Making bowhunting easier has brought a huge number of people into the sport. Good in many ways, but not so good in others.

A whole lot of them are gun hunters who approach bowhunting with that same gunhunter mentality. Many have no ethics but what is written in the regulations book. Then there are some that don't even worry too much about regs. But there are probably a lot more compounders than either of those groups who are just as dedicated and ethical as your average traditional bowhunter. Slopping paint on them with that same wide brush is extremely unfair.

Now, I am appalled that bowhunting has gotten so easy that bowhunters are now talking seriously about QDM. There was a time when bowhunting was considered low impact, recreational hunting. Now it's part of the states' overall herd management scheme. It has to be though.

Overall bowhunter success ratios are now around 40%, within 20-25 points of gun hunters' success ratios. Those who claim that hunting with a compound is so much harder than hunting with a rifle are close to making fools of themselves. Statistically, it's 2/3's as easy. (By the way, according to statistics from Ohio DNR, compound hunter success ratio is IDENTICAL to the crossbow hunter success ratio.) I can't help but wonder what the next great leap of bowhunting technology will be, that will close that final 20% gap and put us on equal footing with rifle hunters. What happens to our bow seasons when it does? That is what I worry about, more than ethics.

[For the record, traditional bowhunting success ratios are around 12-15%, with a far lower wound/loss rate than compound bowhunters, according to the Oklahoma State Univ. study done at McAlester Army Ammo depot.]
Old 11-10-2007, 08:45 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

For the record, traditional bowhunting success ratios are around 12-15%, with a far lower wound/loss rate than compound bowhunters, according to the Oklahoma State Univ. study done at McAlester Army Ammo depot.
Need to watch what you are wishing for. I remember those days and from what I remember, Trad gear got the biggest bashing due to the time and effort needed to be proficient. Then all bows came under fire. I read a million studies showing how guns wond more deer; compounds wond more deer; long and recurve wond more deer; etc. etc. You can find a study that will prove anything. I really question any study because it is only as accurate as the focuse groups agenda. Look at political studies if you dont believe me. You will find a study to prove anything you want.

I refuse to bash any hunter doing things legal. Every one cries, "the anties will think this or that". Antis dont care, but when hunters fight among each other about how much more ethical they are than others, that causes problems. Hunters are hunters worst enemy.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:46 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: ranger56528

I hear ya....I would like to see all the QDM deer these people are getting,where are all the pics of these so called 140-150-160 class deer.....Myself I like to shoot doe's,after all Iam in it for the hunt and meat,have you ever had Horn soup ?.I havent .
Any deer(doe,buck,fork,button) taken with a bow weather it be compound, trad or crossbow is a trophy in my book as long as its spot free or differant type of deer.
Most of my shoots are under 22-23 yards......
I agree, ive never eaten antler soup.

Quick Reply: Frustrated!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.