Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Is my set up adequate for whitetail? >

Is my set up adequate for whitetail?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Is my set up adequate for whitetail?

Old 10-24-2007, 07:19 PM

Default Is my set up adequate for whitetail?

I am new to bowhunting and am just now really learning the sport. Well I bought my arrows last year and because I was using a 55# recurve the guy sold me light arrows, 212 grain, because they would increase velocity and have flatter flight path. However I just discovered more mass is what really helps penetration, and I was wondering if it is irresponsible for me to continue hunting with these, I'm thinking about getting some 125 g stingers to go with them. And a buddy of mine has some old easton superlite xx75 2114 arrows which are heavier but I have no idea of there mass. should I switch to those, or will my arrows be sufficient?
Old 10-24-2007, 08:09 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Is my set up adequate for whitetail?

I know I wouldn't hunt with your setup. I would hunt at least a 500gr setup. And really would want a 550gr with yours. I suggest 2018 30" arrow with 125-150gr tip.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot 420gr from a 53lb recurve with no problems. Lots of trad hunters take whitetails with 400 grns.
Great flying arrow, sharp broadhead and hit them in the vitals = deed dear with passthru.
Only reason I would shoot heavier then 8 gr/lbfor deerwould beto quiet a noisy bow - but then I would not have a bow that required it.

Steve
Old 10-24-2007, 08:52 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

In my limited experience I've found that the heavier the arrow the more forgiving the set up is.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:43 AM

A 55 lb recurve dosn't have the speed like a compound, so stay with a heavier arrow and cut on impack broadheads single blade better than three are four blades, but thats some thing you should deside on. I feal like SteveBNy 450 grians should do it. Just make a good hit, don't shoot at any thing your not sure if you can make a good hit on.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:46 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

I shoot 420gr from a 53lb recurve with no problems. Lots of trad hunters take whitetails with 400 grns.
Great flying arrow, sharp broadhead and hit them in the vitals = deed dear with passthru.
Only reason I would shoot heavier then 8 gr/lbfor deerwould beto quiet a noisy bow - but then I would not have a bow that required it.

Steve
I think a better question is why not shoot a heavier arrow of 10-12gr/pound of pull? I mean, there are pluses all around. Quieter, better penetration, more FOC usually. I am not sure why people would want to shoot a 400gr arrow?

Old 10-25-2007, 07:08 AM

Unfortunately the guy that sold you those arrows is not familiar with traditional archery. 212 grain arrows out of a 55# bow is only giving you less than 4 grains per pound of draw weight. Not even safe for a compound let alone a recurve. A traditional bow is more effeciant when shooting 9 to 12 grains per pound. Besides that, shooting less than 4 gpp will more than likely cause damage to your limbs.
Jump to those 2114 with 125 up front.

Next time you are looking for arrows remember, when an arrow is too light, it is incapable of receiving the stored energy from the bows limbs on release. If the arrow cannot absorb that energy, it transferes back to the bow. That's what causes hand shock and noise. This holds true for compounds as well. When a compound archer shoots 5 gpp then has to put on all the silencing gadgets to make the bow quieter it is because of this same reason. All you have to do is increase the arrow weight and achieve the same result.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:28 AM

I like 10-11 grains per pound for my hunting bows.. That gives me a good over all balance of speed, forgiveness, silence, etc...

I shoot a 50@27 with 560 grain arrows...

You're arrows are not even safe for your bow! You need to make a change quick.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've got to ask. Is that 212 grains total arrow weight or only bare shaft weight?
Old 10-25-2007, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think a better question is why not shoot a heavier arrow of 10-12gr/pound of pull? I mean, there are pluses all around. Quieter, better penetration, more FOC usually. I am not sure why people would want to shoot a 400gr arrow?
Answer would be to help cut back onthe high low misses that come from making minor miscalculations in distance (consciously or instinctive) that happen when shooting unmarked yardages. Real easy in the woods to "see" a 22yd shot as 17 or even 27 - especially when stalking or still hunting and shots happen quickly.
Deer are hardly ever lost from poor penetration on an accurately placed shot.
Most unrecovered animals come from a poorly placed shot.
My bows are quiet at 400 to 420 and have no problems with penetration on shots to the vitals.
Another 100 to 200 grn would not help in a gut shot or other poorly placed shot.
My question would be - why would I go heavier - make pinpoint yardage more critical - and likely up my odds greatly of making other then good shots on game?

Steve

Quick Reply: Is my set up adequate for whitetail?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.