Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Arrows?

Old 10-03-2007, 08:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default Arrows?

I made a goal for myslef to shoot a deer with my grandpas recurve this year. I have been shooting it alot and broke the 2 arrows I had. So I need to get new arrows. My question is what should I get? I think I want a cedar shaft, with 4-5" feathers. Any advice?

Thanks,

Die Hard!
Old 10-04-2007, 06:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Arrows?

There are a lot to choose from. Hard to answer your question. What is the poundage of the bow and your draw length?

For hunting, I still prefer aluminum. But you may want to replicate what your grandfather used, which I'm pretty sure would be port oxford cedar.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good point Bob! Take his advise and go from there!
Old 10-04-2007, 08:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't start hunting with aluminum arrows until 1980 and even then I never got completely away from cedar. A good cedar arrow is just as good, if not better, than any other arrow, IMO. I absolutely love the way they shoot and, maybe it's my imagination, but I think I shoot better with them in the woods than I do with carbon or aluminum. Different story on the target range, of course.

One of my favorite arrows was made by Rogue River. Rogue River was bought out and the same arrows are made by Wapiti now. You can order them direct from Wapiti or Kustom King or 3 Rivers can fix you up.

They're kinda pricey but they are tapered shafts for better FOC and fletch clearance and the quality is worth it, IMO. If you can't force yourself into it, then there is always plain parallel shafts. Just be prepared to do a little additional straightening with them. Again Kustom King or 3 Rivers will have them.

www.wapitiarchery.com
www.kustom-king.com
www.3riversarchery.com
Old 10-04-2007, 08:32 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Port Orford Cedar (POC) is my shaft of choice for hunting or tournaments, but it's just a personal preferance. Wood arrows require a bit more work and knowledge, but good ones will work as good as anything else.

As long as you keep the arrow weight up enough (better penetration, and to keep from damaging the bow) and have it tuned for perfect flight, any of them will work just fine. Also keep in mind that most of the "new" nocks on the market today are designed for compounds, and will snap on the string way too tight--you'll need to get your string served to fit the nock, file out the nock to fit the serving, etc. if you go with those.

I haven't bought any shafts from Wapiti, really haven't heard that much about them. I get mine from Raven Archery. Theirs are the only shafts I ever used that were on par with RRA's (back when Paula and Cecil were still running it). I've heard a lot of good things about Elite Arrows also, and my friend Joe Stark at Lone Wolf offers finished arrows also.

As for what you will need, that will depend on the bow, your draw length, the draw weight, string, your release, point weight, etc. etc. etc.

Chad
Old 10-04-2007, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cedar arrows or Cane river arrows for me.