Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Am I developing a bad habit in shooting..... >

Am I developing a bad habit in shooting.....

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Am I developing a bad habit in shooting.....

Old 10-02-2007, 02:31 PM
BKE
Fork Horn

Default Am I developing a bad habit in shooting.....

that I need to put the brakes on before it's too late? After readingthepost about the loss or addition of approx 2lbs. of draw weight I've been tryingdifferant anchor points in hopes that I can getat least the45 lbs. my recurve is rated for.
I noticed better shots when I'm anchoring at the corner of my mouth and moreinconsistancy whentryingto draw just a bit further so I do understand that trying to overdraw is just going to hurt me.
Here is the meat of the question, last night while shooting after work I started drawing to what I feel is my anchor point andat that instant before releasing I started pushing/extending outwardwith my bow hand/arm and it seemedI was getting good results.
It's that "pushing/extending" movement that I want to make sure isn't something that is a definate no/no.Leaving for the evening now, thanksfolks.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Am I developing a bad habit in shooting.....

As long as you're extending the same distance every time, there's no harm in it. It's an accepted technique called "push-pull".It's extending your draw length. You need to be consistant or your arrows may have erratic drop at longer ranges
Old 10-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't recomend it. Any movement of that bow arm when you release that arrow to me is not good follow through. The more stable your bow arm is the better. At the same time though don't put a death grip on the bow while your shooting either.Also make sure your bow arm is slightly canted or bent out just like if you were shooting a compound. Good luck to you!
Old 10-03-2007, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

IMO, there should be forward pressure put on the bow from the bow arm. It should be directed straight with other alignment points.

The tough part as mentioned is to keep it consistant, but it needs to be there. Fortunately for me it is an aspect that is pretty much ingrained in my shooting, so I don't really think about it often. But some do, especially if they use a more static, arm up before draw type of form. Personally, I use a swing draw, which incorporates this aspect.

Below is a link to a shot Howard Hill took, it is looped, so you can watch it a bunch of times. Look at his forward extension and tell me it's wrong. . But I have also seen clips of him shooting where is not as pronounced.

HH-Loop