Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Aim

Old 07-30-2007, 07:59 PM

Default Aim

I am brand new to any type of archery. I have a recurve, and have shot it about 6 times. My problem is, I have no idea how to aim the thing. Any help here would be great, I know this is probably a stupid question, but other than just eye balling it, I have not figured it out.

Joe
Old 07-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Aim

The key to good shooting is to develop a good, consitent anchor and tune your bow so that your shots all fly down the middle. Then the only thing left to worry about is elevation.

A lot of people do what they call instinctive shooting. Basically just looking where they want the arrow to hit and using The Force. It takes a LOT of shooting before you start developing the mind/body control to get your arrows to group well. Problem with it is, many simply don't have any talent for it. G. Fred Asbell is the high grand poobah of instinctive shooting and has two books on it: Instinctive Shooting and Instinctive Shooting II.

Another way is what we call 'gap shooting.' Basically setting elevation for your shot by holding the tip of your arrow higher or lower in relation to the target for different distances. Same basic principle you use for sights. This, I think, is a far better way for beginning traditional shooters to get off to a quick start and develop confidence much sooner than with instinctive.

If you can get ahold of the book Become the Arrow by Byron Ferguson, it'll get you going.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gap is how I was doing it before I had to stop shooting,but I held the point at the 6 o-clock position just low afew inch's from the center and was starting to group very well at 15-20 yrds before I had to stop shooting,Hopefully I will be back in the saddle nxt yr or by 2009......
Old 07-31-2007, 05:48 AM
Banned

you don't aim, thats the reason its called instinctive archery
Old 07-31-2007, 12:28 PM

I am getting good at hitting the target at close range, and getting the arrows to group well. My biggest drawback is my disability and I can only shoot so many times before my body says stop! I have see what you guys are talking about, and thank you. I know that it will take me a long time and a lot of practice before I even attempt to hunt with it! I want to make the fellow who donated this bow to me proud- He and I met in this room and I have lost his contact info. He was stationed in the UK, with the Air Force I think. I want to make sure he knows that his donation to me was not in vain!

Thank you all for your help.

Joe