Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Any Ideas on my recurve? >

Any Ideas on my recurve?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Any Ideas on my recurve?

Old 07-20-2007, 08:11 AM
bigcountry

Default Any Ideas on my recurve?

I have a 50# dreamcatcher. I cannot get rid of a flipping or poipoising action no matter what I do. I have tried 4 arrow spines. 3 different point weights.

My draw is about 29". Probably less. I have tried 2016, 2018, and 2216. Point wieghts 125gr, 145gr, and 175gr. I have worked on this for over 2 months because after 20 arrows or so I get sloppy, and notice I start getting fish tailing and bad shooting. 2216 shows way too stiff.

I have tried bare shaft, paper, and broadhead tuning. No matter where I set the nocking point, I get flipping up action. There is a sweet spot about 1/2" over center from my riser bottom.

All my combos seem to be having fletching contact with the rest. So I guess I am not bending around the riser enough.

Only combo that even hinted to working well is 175gr tip and 30" 2016 arrow. But this makes no sense. Cause a 2016 30" arrow with 125gr tip is what I shoot on my longbow that is 50#. I would imagine a recurve needs much more spine.

One thing I notice, when I try to tune the Brian Sorrell way watching which way the nock goes on a bag target, I get perfect flight with 2016 with 145gr tip, and my 2018 with 175gr tip. I mean I am shooting at a bag bareshafted at 20 yards, and it shoots well and straight.Its just when I put feathers on, I see the flip. Also, my feathers are taking a beating closer to the riser.

I have tried a small leather rest. No backing plate, and now have a bear hair rest. Seems to have gotten worse with the bear hair.

I really don't want to go lighter in spine.

I

Old 07-20-2007, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Any Ideas on my recurve?

Did you try the 2016's with a 125 Grain?

FWIW I use a 2018 with a 125 with my recurve 55#'s at 29 inches. The 2016's also fly well but are a little noisy.

I use a 2016 with a 125 grain on my 60# @ 29" longbow.

What I'm saying is that I wouldn't be too surprised if you have to go one lighter in spine.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:57 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Did you try the 2016's with a 125 Grain?

FWIW I use a 2018 with a 125 with my recurve 55#'s at 29 inches. The 2016's also fly well but are a little noisy.

I use a 2016 with a 125 grain on my 60# @ 29" longbow.

What I'm saying is that I wouldn't be too surprised if you have to go one lighter in spine.
Ok, so I am not crazy then. I guess my longbow is a high performance longbow.

Yep, 2016's with 125 is what I have have been working with the most. I just started this with with the big tips.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 07-20-2007, 10:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get a 2X4 board, preferably yellow pine. Hod it up vertically by the bottom end with both hands in front of you. Rotate your wrists backwards and let that board smack you in the head real good. Now, shoot your bow. I guarantee you won't see any flipping or porpoising, at least for the next 5-10 minutes.

When the problem reappears, repeat the treatment. It won't help the arrow flight itself, but it'll keep you preoccupied so you won't notice it. [8D]

Well, you may not believe it, but maybe you should try some cedar arrows. I've had bows before that wouldn't shoot aluminum worth a darn but shot beautifully with wood.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:06 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Does your ring finger get sore? My first guess is you may be torqing the string, pushing the arrow down hard on the shelf before release.

Chad
Old 07-20-2007, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's a good thought, Chad. It might also be accompanied by a sore spot right next to the fingernail on the index finger, where it contacts the nock. Having your drawing arm elbow too high can be a major cause of that.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:18 PM
bigcountry

Hmm, possibly. Have to pay attention to the ring finger thing. I do know on release, my ring is probably the first finger to let the string go.

Old 07-20-2007, 02:19 PM
Spike

Try shooting with the cock feather in and see what happens
Old 07-20-2007, 02:56 PM
bigcountry

Strange you ask Lower, I tried this a few weeks ago on my cedars, and it helped them alot. Thats where I figured I was getting fletch contact.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:15 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

Get a 2X4 board, preferably yellow pine. Hod it up vertically by the bottom end with both hands in front of you. Rotate your wrists backwards and let that board smack you in the head real good. Now, shoot your bow. I guarantee you won't see any flipping or porpoising, at least for the next 5-10 minutes.

When the problem reappears, repeat the treatment. It won't help the arrow flight itself, but it'll keep you preoccupied so you won't notice it. [8D]

Well, you may not believe it, but maybe you should try some cedar arrows. I've had bows before that wouldn't shoot aluminum worth a darn but shot beautifully with wood.
What are you trying to say Arthur? You think I overthink this stuff?

Quick Reply: Any Ideas on my recurve?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.