Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Second Place Ain't So Bad.... >

Second Place Ain't So Bad....

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Second Place Ain't So Bad....

Old 05-07-2007, 07:46 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default Second Place Ain't So Bad....

This past weekend was an absolute blast at the TN Classic at Twin Oaks. I decided to vacation this time--didn't take a string board or even one spool of string material--and had a ball!

Shot more novelties than I have in years, shot longbow and selfbow and entered the wingshooting contest. Well, I wasn't dissapointed with my shooting, but it wasn't quite good enough. Luck kinda bit me in the butt along the way--good and bad.

Friday I shot selfbow. Wasn't having an outstanding round, but pretty good. I'd stopped at a friend's house Thursday and found some arrows that flew great--problem is, we didn't have time to seal them. Taper, glue on points and nocks, fletch, good to go--just keep them dry--no problem. On the tail-end of my selfbow round, the bottom fell out. My darts turned into wet noodles! Oh well......good enough for second place.

Shot my longbow round Saturday. First 20 targets, I was ready to quit--it was just one of those days where I was shooting like my eyes were closed. Shook it off, shot the second 20 targets--PERFECT ROUND! (my first, even just for half a round) Got the two bonus shots, but blew the optional steel fox by 1/4". Still, it was good enough for second place.

Moved on to the wingshooting competition--cardboard discs launched by throwing machines. Got 10 out of 16 on Sat, had a blast. Sunday, I was informed someone had gotten 13, so here I go again. The best I could do was 12 (twice), but couldn't break past it. Good enough for second place. To top it off, the guy that beat me did it with his Chek-Mate! Arrgghhh!!!!!

Shot in the tough man--winner take all. 12's counted (tournament scoring was 5, 1, X) for a possible score of 60. I had it with a 48 all day Sat. Sunday, a young fellow scored an incredible 52 (5 tough shots). Try as I might, I couldn't get all 5 shots to happen for me in the same round--best I could do was 49 (third place, but no prize--one fellow shot a 50).

On to the novelties--the Turkey shoot (suspended clay pigeons), the walking deer (it was rigged to move behind bushes, had to get three shots off in a short distance), and the bobbing bear (the kill bobbed behind a 55 gallon steel drum). 2 tickets for a 10 ring, one ticket for an 8 ring. I spend $5 on each (3 arrows for $1), put 14 tickets in the box on the deer and 20 on the bear. Time came to draw for the prizes, I got third place on the deer, and (you guessed it) second place on the bear. Nice prizes too--got a rechargeable compressor/spotlight, a camp chair, and a portable grill. Put umpteen tickets in the box on the turkey shoot, but you can't win them all.

Came home with some prizes, two red cedar plaques in the shape of the state of TN with a primitive arrow and trade point on the plaque (longbow and selfbow), and a beautifully painted turkey feather in a matted frame. On the feather there's a pheasant with a flu-flu bearing down on him--that was the trophy for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in the wing shooting competition.

All in all, the most fun I've had at a tournament in years! The prizes were nice, but it was the people that made it--that shoot is the best. If you can ever make it, it's worth your vacation time. If you go once, you will be back!

Chad
Old 05-08-2007, 07:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Second Place Ain't So Bad....

Sounds like a great time. COngrats on your awards.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:14 AM
bigcountry

Dadgone Chad, I didn't know you were that good.

Some of those shoots you are talking about, I couldn't even imagine being good enough to make these shots. Little down over my shooting these days. I haven't improved in months. I am sitting stagnant.

Congrads on your shoot. I wouldn't mind to watch you sometime. Wish you could make it up this way.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:37 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Heck, I'm not good, just got real lucky! Well, except when I got caught in the rain with un-sealed wood arrows.....

Something that might help with the slump--form practice. Get the lightest draw weight you own, get a big target (or have a good back-stop), and concentrate on consistency--consistent hold, draw (smooth and controlled), anchor (2 or 3 point anchor works better for me), release (work on relaxing your hand and letting the string push your fingers out of the way), and follow-through. Close your eyes so the target doesn't distract you. Focus on one or two things at a time if you need to. If you can get consistency down, arrcuracy will follow.

Another thing I've noticed myself doing, especially when I'm in a slump or have a difficult shot--I have a tendency to "peep" as soon as I release, trying to see where the arrow is going instead of maintaining focus on the spot--that one really buggers me sometimes.

Don't let it bug you--work on consistency, have fun, and it will work out.

Chad
Old 05-08-2007, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Any shots that requiredyour patentedsplits????
Old 05-08-2007, 11:18 AM
COB

You're always number ONE in my book Chad!
Old 05-08-2007, 11:25 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Only did the splits once this past weekend (by request). Love the look on people's faces when they see it--lol.

Cob, for some reason I get the feeling you ain't holding up your index finger!

Btw, any chance you will be down this way this summer? I won't be at Cloverdale this year--too many irons in the fire.....

Chad
Old 05-08-2007, 02:27 PM
bigcountry

Ok, whats the splits shot? You ain't actin like a cheer leader are ya Chad with a bow in your hand?

Old 05-08-2007, 02:39 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Ever seen a fatman pushing 40 yrs old do the splits? Come down to one of our shoots and I'll show you--that oughta' be worth the trip by itself![8D]

Chad
Old 05-08-2007, 05:51 PM

I've seen Chad do the splits several times, it ain't pretty. I've also seen him do a kinky roll around on the ground with another man and stand up stating that he really enjoyed it. I have pictures of that and it ain't pretty either.

Chad can be a decent shot if he puts his mind to it. It also helps if I am not in the same class shooting against him, lol.

I guess I will have to make Chad a set of arrows now (I ain't saying when though). It was kinda embarrassing to see him shoot unsealed, unstained and unpainted arrows. If he wasn't such a tightwad, he could have bought the ones I donated to the TTAS auction.

I was a pleasure shooting and visiting with you and Betsy, what little bit we did see of you. Take care.........Tom

Quick Reply: Second Place Ain't So Bad....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.