Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Needs help getting started >

Needs help getting started

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Needs help getting started

Old 03-30-2007, 07:51 PM
Spike

Default Needs help getting started

I have a Martin Hunter Recurve Bow 62" 55# at 28" draw. I bought this bow many years ago and never had the time to get started now I do BUT I dont know where to start:
1-what size and type string should I use?
2-I would like to shoot carbon arrows, what type and size ?
3-what brace hight?
if someone has the know how and any info that can help. I have hunted for many years with a compound and I'm ready for something new. looked at all the traditional archery suppliers web sites and I'm more confused than ever
Old 03-30-2007, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Needs help getting started

I have a Martin Hunter but shoot ceder 50/55 at 29-1/2" B.O.P with 125 grn points/BH.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:51 AM

jackdee - I am new, too, so I dont have your answers, but there are some other forums that are a big help.

Nothing wrong with HuntingNet, these guys are GREAT and have helped me a lot, but there's many more onleatherwall, archery talk, and trad gang. You can find these using a searcher. In fact I think many of the great guys here on HuntingNetspend a lot of time on those, too.

I don't need to bother those sites with too many questions because somebody is already talking about the exact questions you asked. In my town there are so few traditional pros that I have found better (and much more, of course) advice on these sites.In a couple of instances, the local well-intentioned"pro" messed me up, and guys on these sites got me straight.

These guys have completely ruined me - I don't care to shoot my compound any more, and am considering selling it.

What I did learn in a hurry was that you are asking the right questions - the arrows and string are more important than the bow!

Also you should go to 3 Rivers archery and buy the DVD "Masters of the Barebow" for some excellent instruction. Nine experts just describe their equipment, arrows, and technique. Amazing how different they are from each other!

When you get that right arrow and string - prepare to be hooked!
Old 04-01-2007, 06:28 AM

jackdee, I suppose I can be of more help since I just went through what you're asking. Here's what I learned:

1 -Start witha string that is 3 inches shorter than your AMO. Fast flight has the best reputation but is abusive to the limb tips, so be sure your tips can accept it (Martin will say on their instructions or website). I guessfast flightmust have less springyness which gives it more energy and stresses the tips more.

2 - I am on my third arrow type and weight and finally feel good shooting. I also want to shoot carbon but I got aluminum simply because I can cut them myself. I figured when I finally come up with my ideal length and spine, and learn to shoot this stick, I will think about carbon later.3 Rivers has test kits for both arrows and tips - sets of different weights, etc. I did not get the arrow kit but did get the tip test kit and it was well worth it.

Almost all the shooters on the DVD and websites say to go for 10 grains of total arrow weight per pound of draw weight (at your draw). I am at 9.6 and it finally feels good.Any less and I can't reduce the handshock. My tips are 150 grain. Before I learned this I was using my lighter weight carbon arrows from my compound and I hated the handshock and flight.

3 - start with 7.5 to 8 inches and learn from the websites and other shooters how to figure out whether to go up or down based on your arrows and performance.

Download Eastons tuning guide and arrow selector off their website. Hope I helped you, like others have helped me!
Old 04-01-2007, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check this link out if you havent already seen it....

http://www.bowmaker.net/index2.htm
Old 04-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Spike

THANK YOU ALL for the great info. I have a good idea where to start now. I know I'll be hooked once I master it
jackdee
Old 04-01-2007, 04:13 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

You'll need a 58" string with at least 14 strands.