Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Fast flight strings?

Old 02-26-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Fast flight strings?

What are your opinions on them? I ordered one with my longbow last spring. It has worked fine for me and I have had some compliments on my bow, I guess it shoots pretty fast for a 45# longbow. I don't know if it is just the design of the bow, or if the fast flight does make a big difference. I have heard they can be tough on bows, but my bow was made to accept fast flight strings.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Fast flight strings?

if the bow was designed to accept FF, then by all means, go ahead and use it.

I don't know enough about bow design to tell you why FF-compatible bows seem to be faster, but then again, it's not my job, man...
Old 02-26-2007, 07:42 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

FF type materials aren't nearly as elastic as dacron, so they put more of the bow's energy behind the arrow rather than waste it in string ocillation (one theory). Another is they are so much stronger than dacron that you can make a string with fewer strands, therefore lighter, and pick up speed.

Personally, a few fps doesn't mean squat to me. I like the increased durability, lack of stretch/creep, and reduced handshock they offer. I've been shooting the same bow for 10-12 years now--LOTS of tournament shooting, practice, playing, and even a shot here and there hunting. It's never had a dacron string on it, and she shoots as good today as the day I got it--and I'm the type that can tear up an anvil with a cotton ball.

Funny thing is, if a bow fails and has anything other than a dacron string on it, usually the string gets the blame. When one fails with a different type string, something else is to blame. I've had and seen a LOT more bows fail with a dacron string. The only two I know of personally were old bows (not made for FF) that the tips sawn off by unpadded, small diameter strings.

Won't hurt anything to use dacron on a FF rated bow, but I don't see the point in it myself.

Chad
Old 02-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

FF string can and will distroy your tips if not made to be used with FF.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:53 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I should have added--I DO NOT recommend using FF type materials on a bow not made for them.

Chad
Old 02-27-2007, 05:31 PM

Thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure. I have another 60# longbow I picked up a few months back that was made for FF also, I think I will be ordering a fast flight forit.