Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Trad Bow for small game >

Trad Bow for small game

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Trad Bow for small game

Old 02-23-2007, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default Trad Bow for small game

I have been hunting for 12 years now everything legal to hunt in MN except bear and moose. i love squirrle rabbit, grouse huntin, but was getting boring. i started with a Reminton 870 20ga for bunnies, and a Remington .22 541T HEAVY BARRLE 4-12x40 Nikon, then i switched to single shot Remington model 33 .22 for squirrles,bunnies,and grouse, well last weekend i got to shoot a Fred Bear Super Mag 48@ 45lbs and a 60" long bow@ 50lbs it had been a long time 10yrs since i had shot a no sights recurve or longbow, but i was shooting softball sized groups a 25yrds now i think i got the bug, plus while i was shooting it hit me using a trad bow for smallgame would be one hell of of a challenge.

pat

i have also hunted small game with a .44cal cap and ball revalvor (spelling)
Old 02-24-2007, 02:17 PM

Default RE: Trad Bow for small game

It sure is a blast
Old 02-24-2007, 07:53 PM
Fork Horn

I like to rabbit hunt with my Bear Cub...
Old 02-25-2007, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

stupid me i never asked my question. What kind of bow should i get a longbow or recurve? I know I don't need a 50 pound. Should i make my own arrows or get aluminum or carbon. what type of field points do i use, and how do blunts work on smallgame?

pat
Old 02-25-2007, 05:36 PM

I am no expert but here is my best shot. As far as longbow vs. recurve, it is mostly personal opinion. A recurve is a little more forgiving than a longbow but they are both a blast. I've used both. As far as arrows, again, personal opinion. I prefer aluminum arrows but anything is fine. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on expensive arrows for small game though. If you miss and hit a rock or a tree, it is probably bye-bye arrow. Also check spine charts to see what arrows are right for your bow. As far as heads, check out bunny busters, bludgeon tips and judo tips. The judos are probably the best. Blunt tips work good and kill small game because of the massive shock they deliver on impact.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:37 PM

Also, as far as the bow, look around, get lots of opinions and see what works for you.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:39 PM
Fork Horn

Whats spine?
pat
Old 02-26-2007, 05:35 PM

Spine is the stiffness of the arrow. The spine must be right so that the arrow canflex around the riser when released. You don't want it too stiff, but it can't be too flexible either. But I am no expert, others here could tell you much, much more.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BOYWONDER

stupid me i never asked my question. What kind of bow should i get a longbow or recurve? I know I don't need a 50 pound. Should i make my own arrows or get aluminum or carbon. what type of field points do i use, and how do blunts work on smallgame?

pat
yes.

yes.

judo's work pretty good

not great.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:50 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Depends on the blunts. I'll take the Ace Hex Head against a Judo any day of the week on small critters.

Quick Reply: Trad Bow for small game

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.