Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 First TRAD hunt is today! UPDATED >

First TRAD hunt is today! UPDATED

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

First TRAD hunt is today! UPDATED

Old 02-21-2007, 05:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default First TRAD hunt is today! UPDATED

Well guys and gals I am ready! I am going on my first trad hunt today. I have been shooting my recurve almost dailyfor a couple of months now. For the past two weeks I have been practicing with broadheads. Last night I put a volleyball sized pumpkin on top of my block target and killed the gourd with the entire 3 arrow group I started with. I'm getting a consistant 6" group at 20yds. Tonight I am going hog hunting. I feel good about my abilities and I KNOW the hogs are there. I am also taking an active duty military guy I met at a party atmy in lawsthis past Saturday. I was shooting with my nephew in the backyard and when he got there he made a beeline for us. Turns out he is aArmy sniper just back from Afganistan a few months and on his way to Iraq in a few more months. Turns out he has been shooting TRAD for years and has never had a chance at a hog. So my thanks to him for serving is a hog hunt. Wish us luck! Greg Hopefully pics to follow!
Old 02-21-2007, 06:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: First TRAD hunt is today!

Greg:

FIRST OFF.....what you're doing with OUR service man is ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL.

Secondly.....I'm thinking about buying a longbow, TODAY. I shot one, last week....and I have the fever. We'll see.

Good luck to you.....and thanks again for taking care of our troops. That's awesome!
Old 02-21-2007, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds great. Let us know how you make out.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:57 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Super! Have fun with it, and KNOW you can and will do the job. You can't hit by trying not to miss. Tell the Marine "Thank You!" for us!

Chad
Old 02-21-2007, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Just by taking him along, you've already done good. Hope the hogs cooperate because you deserve it.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, we had a blast hunting together. Russ is in the ARMY not the Corps. I was given bad info by my in laws.[:@]We both missed the hogs we shot at. Mine was broadside at 10 yds. Slam dunk I think to myself. Wrong! I shot over it and not by a small margin! Russ also missed although he did shave some hair. He was shooting a gorgeous Black Widow Sa II (?) take down, carbon arrows and Wensel woodsmans. He took a 20 yd shot and told me he lost focus at release. Said he started to look at the whole hog rather than the SPOT. HMMMM...... focus? Maybe I know why I missed! We did have a lot of fun and Russ is welcome to hunt with me at any time. He only lives a few miles from me and is willing to help me learn this trad thing. After that bad shot I need all the help I can get!
Old 02-22-2007, 10:47 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like a lot of fun! More time behind the bow will help with the focus and nerves. Also, form practice (work on picking a spot/focus) and I think shooting 3-D helps. For one, you get used to some pressure (shooting in front of your peers), you get practice on animal-size targets in different scenarios and at unknown ranges, and you can learn how to better pick a spot on a critter.

So, when is the next hunt?
Old 02-22-2007, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

SATURDAY!
Old 02-22-2007, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck Tex...enjoy...ever been Charged by an angry hog?
Old 02-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

No, they were too busy laughing at me!

Quick Reply: First TRAD hunt is today! UPDATED

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.