Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Are modern recurves really traditional? >

Are modern recurves really traditional?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Are modern recurves really traditional?

Old 01-30-2007, 12:38 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Are modern recurves really traditional?

Oh, I thought you lived in upstate NY. Its a fun time. I am going to try to find out if there is any self bow build alongs this years.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:46 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Compare a 1980 compound vs a 2007 compound
Compare a 1980 Bear TD with a 2007 TD recurve of your choice
Shoot--my longbow is faster than my 80's compound, especially with a heavy arrow. Put the same heavy arrow on a new compound, the gap narrows a bunch.

The TN Classic is a great shoot, but not too close (Clarkesville, TN). The closest will be Lost Tribe--first shoot of the year is this Sat. Heck, you can get the schedule at www.losttribetn.org . If you want the dates for others, just holler, but that's going to be the closest (Collierville, not far from Memphis--directions on the site). All trad club, great shoot.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

I think the reason behind the complaints falls to one thing - the goal of the shooter. What it is ? Is it to win ? If it is, he's going to complain about any and everything that doesn't match up well to his strengths.
Nothing wrong with being competative and wanting to win, there are some that do take it overboard though. You have a few that'll cry foul over the slightest thing that doesn't meet their standards, but the majority shoot the course and let the chips fall where they may. When I shoot a 3D course, I shoot my best and I shoot to win. I shoot 3D because I love the competition and the competitiondrives me to improve my shooting. If I get beat, well, I get beat. It's just that much more incentive to work, toimprove. I work to improve my shooting well before Istep onto a 3D course.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:08 PM

my view is ........ I'll shoot with anyone at anytime. Whatever they're using, if their arrows are going closer to the target, they're beating me, fair and square.

LBR - this weekend is too close, I have to plan things in advance. Shoot me a PM with some good up and coming ones please
Old 01-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dang, this thread blew up. A lot of good points made... thanks for the discussion
Old 01-31-2007, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think people over-think the subject.

If it's a recurve or longbow, it's considered a traditional type bow. And that's compared to compounds. Someone here mentioned that before compounds, we were all archers. Compounds coming onto the scene is what made people start calling bowhunting with recurves and longbows 'traditional' bowhunting.

I have 8 bows, including 2 recurves (one take-down with a machined riser and one glass-wood laminate), and 2 longbows (one one-piece wood bow and one glass-wood laminate), and when I'm hunting with any of them, I'm hunting traditionally. No sights, wheels/cams and no release aids. I don't see how the materials used in the bow can change the type of hunting you're doing with it.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:41 PM

Men,
personally If it does not have wheels I believethat ifthe string is attached from Limb tip to limb tip, Its traditional! One string ! no cables ! tip to tip ! yep its trad !
Tj