Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Question

Old 01-11-2007, 01:19 PM

Default Question

I have never bow hunted, nor do I even own one, in fact, my ten year old daughter has a bow, and can do it all! Anyway. I am disabled, and a compund bow, at least the ones I pulled, killed me, litterally pulled my shoulder out. I shot a few recurves prior to getting hurt, and really liked it, although I can use a crossbow, I was thinking a recurve may do the trick. I have a ton of questions, what number of lbs. pull should be considered for deer, sighting, thanks in advance guys.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Question

Yup, compounds are tough on shoulders. That's one of the reasons I have not pulled one back in a very long time. I'd say take a look at your state regulations for deer and see if there is a minimum weight. I'd go with whatever that weight is for a while. Use a good sharp 2 bladed head and fairly heavy arrow, and you should be OK.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:42 PM

I looked at Kansas regulation and could not find anything on minimum draw weights,so you mightwant to make sure before heading out.Good Luck
Old 01-11-2007, 02:11 PM

I sent a email to KDW&P, I didnt see a min. either. Will post when they answer.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Here in NY under 35 pound draw is unlawful for deer. When my son is able to hunt in a couple more years, he'll be pulling just over that amount and I feel confident that he'll OK for whitetails. It goes without saying though that he'll have to use a two bladed COC head, will have to limit his shot distance and will have to be careful with shot selection.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:22 PM

I am ok with that for me. The closer you can get to them, the better, at least for a good clean humane kill. You will have to excuse my ignorance, but what is a COC? I have no terminology down yet.

Joe
Old 01-11-2007, 05:04 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

COC = Cut On Contact--no chisel heads, etc. The blade extends to the point.

Chad
Old 01-11-2007, 05:41 PM

ok, thanks
Old 01-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

well if a compound is going to hurt your shoulder then i would go with a lighter recurve. I think i would go with a 45 pound pull. that is just me.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:48 PM

Well, BOTH shoulders, because of damage, slide out of socket. I also have some spinal cord and nerve injury. I have a permit for a crossbow, but simply have to know if I can do a bow. I dont own a crossbow even. But I live in Southeast KS, some of the greatest hunting, no mater what you want to do. Deer, duck, bobcat, upland bird. This is my first year back in the field after fighting like hell to get back on my feet for the last three years. I am about as green as you get, but determined to experince everything I can as far as hunting and fishing goes.

What kind of range would I be looking at with 45lbs, and what is a good grain point to put on the end of it?

Quick Reply: Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.