Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

How far is to far?

Old 11-18-2002, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How far is to far?

Back in the 60's my grandpa killed the biggest buck in his life. A big 4x4 mule buck in Colorado. He stalked the buck for hours before he got a shot. He arrowed it in the lungs from (get this) 55 yards. He was shooting a pse phaser (sp?) at 50# with a 3 finger release. The arrow penetrated through both lungs and the broadhead stuck out of the other side of the deer about 5 inches. Grand dad practiced every day, and had great instructors to help him with accuracy and tuning.
Another fellow who shared camp with grandpa was a guy who worked for the Hoyt company. He had cleanly taken deer and black bear with his 85# recurve out to 75 yards. Grandpa saw this guys accuracy first hand on that trip while practicing on hay bails.

I read somewhere that Saxton Pope once killed a running buck at 90 yards, and I know I read about him making very long shots on African game.

My question here is, how far is to far? I like most of you would never even try let alone recomend a shot much farther than 20 yards with traditional equipment. And for most people with modern equipment too. How far out can an arrow cleanly kill big game? If we could hit out that far consitantly, would it be ethical? Getting close to game is what makes bowhunting special isn't it? I know it is for me. Wouldn't it take away from the experience?

"Hey ya'll, watch this"
Old 11-18-2002, 12:48 PM
Kip
Fork Horn

Default RE: How far is to far?

Kodiak, I think you have already answered the question, for yourself. Everyone has a different view of what "ethical" is, and it looks like you have answered what you feel ethical is. Everyone has a different view on this.
I personally can shoot my compound 50 yards, and group the broadheads in a 4" circle. At a big game animal standing broadside, I feel very confident in my ability to put the arrow where it counts. I would never shoot at a running animal.

Soon, (I hope) I will have my new Crusader, and I am sure that my views of an "ethical" shot will change. It all depends on my ability to accurately, and consistantly place shots. Maybe that range will reduce to 15 yards, maybe 35 yards. It all depends on MY personal ability. What I feel comfortable with may be a long shot for some, or it may be a joke to others. You have to be able to live within your self imposed range, and not stray from it, no matter how great the game.

Old 11-18-2002, 01:49 PM
Typical Buck

The whole reason I took up the stick to begin with was to make the hunt more of a challenge and taking shots out to distances like that just doesn't fit into my way of thinking. Not that I know how far an animal is when I've taken my shot, because I don't, but my gut tells me that it's right and I take it. If it doesn't feel right, I don't take it. That equates to distances of about 25 paces max on larger game animals and I've taken shots out to 40-45 paces on small game while stump shooting and small game hunting, because with small game, it's a kill or miss shot anyway. That about sums it up for me. However, there are those that read that stuff and listen to stories from old timers and watch the old videos by Hill and Bear and then think it's ok for them to shoot those kind of distances. When in fact, they can't hit a hay bail at 15 feet. Other than that, if a hunter can consistently kill game way out past my definition of what constitutes a max distance, who am I to say one way or the other if he/she are right or wrong in their way of hunting. That's up to them to make that decision and hopefully it'll be one that shines brightly on Bowhunting instead of becoming a reason for us to lose it.

Make em sharp and shoot em straight, or leave em home.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:17 PM

I personally know a guy who shot a deer at 50 yds. He is an NFAA barebow champ who's father was also an NFAA champ. The guy took second place in the nationals this year (Dave Cousins took 1st). His backyard practice range is 80 yards and he can 6 inch groups all day at that range.

My personal opinion? If you are that good, spend more time at the tournaments and less time in the woods. Go out and fill the freezer in a day or two. Then get a sponsorship, quit your job and give archery lessons.

I imagine that the old timers were excellent hunters. They knew the game and could estimate ranges better than I ever will.
Old 11-20-2002, 06:49 PM
COB

To far is the point where you lose confidence you can make the shot! Be it five yards, fifteen yards, or fifty five yards. If we are honest with ourselves we know where to draw the line.

Ted A. Young AKA COB