Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 What are those fluffy things called? >

What are those fluffy things called?

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

What are those fluffy things called?

Old 10-10-2006, 03:39 PM

Default What are those fluffy things called?

You know, the fluffy dealsright behind the feathersthat help you track the arrow in flight...... I can't for the life of me remember there name.....I always called them tracers, but that turns up no info at 3 Rivers.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What are those fluffy things called?

Here ya go DC. They are called Tracer's, don't know why it wouldn't show up for you.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/ListProduct.asp?offset=0
Old 10-10-2006, 03:59 PM

I had some, called them tracers too, didn't like them.

You want to track your arrow in flight ? 3 big white feathers will do it. Want MORE visibility ? Buy 3M white reflective tape, use Fletchtite Titanium and the bond is very good, and a flashlight will make that shaft GLOW at 100 yards at night.

I didn't like the tracers
Old 10-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I used to put tracers on the front and rear of my fletchings when I used natural barred turkey feathers. Not so much so's I could see 'em in flight but because they looked so nice in the quiver.

Old 10-10-2006, 09:38 PM

I usually wear eye glasses LOL
Old 10-11-2006, 03:55 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I love them, especially for hunting arrows. I got a deal on some feathes that aren't too bright in color, but with a white or yellow or chartruse tracer I can see them just fine.

If you want, they are very easy (and cheap) to make. If you prefer fur, pick up a rabbit hide at a shoot or redevous--they come in all sorts of colors. Can probably find one on e-bay or with an internet search. If you prefer feathers, go to a craft store like Hobby Lobby and find the feathers, get a pack of the real fuzzy ones for a couple of bucks, and peel them. You will have some rejects, and you will have to apply your own glue, but they work just as well and cost a lot less.

I use them on practice arrows some, but they don't usually last too long with continuous shooting. They are the next best thing to one of those nocks that light up for me.

Chad
Old 10-14-2006, 12:46 PM

Thanks guys, found them.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you want, they are very easy (and cheap) to make. If you prefer fur, pick up a rabbit hide at a shoot or redevous--they come in all sorts of colors. Can probably find one on e-bay or with an internet search. If you prefer feathers, go to a craft store like Hobby Lobby and find the feathers, get a pack of the real fuzzy ones for a couple of bucks, and peel them. You will have some rejects, and you will have to apply your own glue, but they work just as well and cost a lot less.
Forget the glue! Even if you don't like it for fletching, this is an application where fletching tape is absolutely the best thing since sliced bread. No glue getting all over the tracer (glue can really mess upthose nice marabou feathers, real quick). No clamping the tracer in place and waiting for the glue to dry. I spiral on the tape about 1/4-3/8" wide on the arrow, peel the backing and then spiral on the feather or fur. Dab of glue at each end of the tracer and you're done.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:26 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the tip Art--never thought to do it like that. I did use fletching tape for the fur, but with the marribou feathers I couldn't figure out how to get it done. 'Course the answer was so obvious and easy I never would have thought of it!

Chad