Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

dove season

Old 08-28-2006, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default dove season

dove season start sept.1st here in illinois, anybody shoot birds(pheasent,grouse,dove would be almost impossible. im guessing tho!) with there bow on this forum.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:02 PM

Default RE: dove season

I'm planning on hunting pheasant/grouse this year. Should be fun at least. I've shot at flying birds before, came pretty close. If you are a good shot you could very well be able to hit one.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

i seen a tv show on TNN years ago where a guy was pheasent hunting with traditional equipment he never hit one but they only showed him taking maybee 8 shots. He did come very close tho and this guy was a good shot.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've hunted doves with bow-n-arrer. Snaro point and fluflus. Forget pass shooting. They can dodge a cloud of shotgun pellets, so it's not even a challenge for them to dodge an arrow. Instead, I watch where they land and then stalk up on 'em. If you've got some cover, it's no big trick to get within 10-15 yards before they notice you and take off. They're not too fast rising up off the ground and they give you a pretty fair chance at busting them.

I've also taken quail with the same arrow setup, but they're a bit of a challenge.

Old 08-29-2006, 08:14 AM
Dominant Buck

My brother and I threw discs in the air for years to practice shooting birds. We hunted phesant once with bows and never got one. We only saw one bird and I sent an arrow way over it. I gave up on birds, it made me really respect Bear, Hill, and Pearson. The only moving thing I have shot with my bows are rabbits.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:47 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I took a hen and rooster spruce grouse in Canada a few years ago (there on a moose hunt). Both were shot with my longbow, but both were sitting in a tree when I shot. I've shot lots of aerial targets, but haven't tried a flying bird yet. Hope to find a spot to try for pheasants eventually (no pheasants in MS). I got one bird with a hard rubber blunt, the other with an Ace Hex-Head blunt. The Ace head is the best blunt I've ever used, including judo's.

Chad
Old 08-29-2006, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm fixin to make one of these someday for arial practice.

http://www.cdi3d.com/bow/jugshooter.mpg

Old 08-29-2006, 03:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Thats pretty cool. My brother and i use to simply glue a few pieces of cardboard together to get it thick enough to throw easy. Cut it in the shape of a disk and took turns throwing it for each other.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:13 PM
Fork Horn

I've shot at several grouse with a compound before... I had one, sitting still, jump strait in the air as the arrow aproached.I missed, but it was hallarious!!!!
Old 09-01-2006, 12:00 PM
Typical Buck

Here is a short video of some guys in france shooting pheasant with a bow: http://www.huntingfootage.com/showphoto.php?photo=1825&cat=537

Pretty impressive, maybe one of these days I will get to that point, for now I am more concerned at hitting a 20" let alone a bird flying!!!!

Quick Reply: dove season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.