Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Longbow or Recurve?

Old 08-24-2006, 06:03 AM

Default Longbow or Recurve?

Hi! folks just wondering if anyone had any personal suggestions on this matter? I am kind of new to traditional archery; and like to hunt still and tree stand. Which would be better? Which is most accurate and forgiving in shot placement from a stand or heavy cover?

Thanks a Heap!
Holler critter
Old 08-24-2006, 07:20 AM

Default RE: Longbow or Recurve?

I've shot both and I prefer the recurve, I would start with a 58 to 62" BOW , they are more stable, forgiving, and you will have far less hand shock.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:27 AM

You'll find adherents on both sides. I like a longbow. It is simple. The modern hybrids are fast and accurate. Oh, and they are lighter. I have a McCullough Griffin longbow that is 60" long and 59 @ 29. It is fast. I wouldn't trade it for any recurve or any other longbow for that matter no matter how much they cost.

You need to shoot some recurves and longbows and decide for yourself what you like. Hopefully, you will develop a passion for a particular bow and that will mean a lot to your shooting and your confidence.

A book that I think is an absolute gem that will teach you to shoot instinctively in short order is Instinctive Archery Insights by Jay Kidwell. It's the best.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:54 AM

Thanks for the Helpful information!

I am already shooting an old Bear recurve(45#amo 60 inches);that I purchased at a garage sale,I think though that the limbs may be a little twisted. My groupings are fair but still some what off at about 20 yards.
If I do decide to switch to a longbow are they difficult to handle in a tree stand or heavy cover? I am a short person in size about 5"4 inches with a I think about 26 inch draw. Would a longbow still work or should I stay with a recurve? Any suggestions or comments welcome!

Thanks a Bunch!
Holler critter
Old 08-24-2006, 08:10 AM
bigcountry

Reason I went to traditional was to be more traditional. Longbow just seemed more. I found out, they are not as fast, but seem to handle heavier arrows better. The recurve performs better and faster, no doubt, but I figure I might as well go with my compound.

I shoot a longbow now, but am looking to buy a zipper recurve too.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:24 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Pretty much all of the answers given so far are right, but they are also wrong. Bowsvary a great deal in design and performance--you can get short "longbows", you can get long recurves. You can get light or heavy (mass weight) in either one. There are recurves that have a lot of handshock, and longbows that don't (and vice-versa). A few dozen arrows through any bow won't tell you a whole lot, and if the bow isn't properly tuned for you it will tell you even less. There are very old examples of both longbows and recurves (English longbows, Asian and Turkish recurves), even cave drawings of a deflex/reflex longbow. There are longbows that are faster than the average recurve. There are longbows with recurve grips, recurves with longbow grips, and some bows that don't exactly fit in either category.

What it all boils down to is personal preferance--there's no one right or wrong answer. Personally, I prefer longbows. I hunt from tree stands, a pop-up blind, and brush blinds. A longer bow does require more attention in a tight spot, but I don't have any problems with my 66" longbow and plan to use my 70" selfbow as well.

Something to consider is get a bow that fits you, especially if you buy used. If you get a bow that was built specifically for a 30" draw, it's not liable to perform nearly as well for your 26" draw. Just because a bow is a certain length doesn't mean it will fit you properly--there are some short bows made for a longer draw, and vice-versa.

Do your homework, ask a lot of questions, talk to bowyers/dealers/archers that have put time in behind the bows you are interested in, and it will save you some time and aggravation. Take opinions for just that--opinion (for instance, if you ask 'what is the best brand recurve' you will get a whole lot of opinion). Shoot as many different bows as you can get your hands on, and enjoy the journey. Be patient, and you will find the one that's just right for you.

Chad
Old 08-24-2006, 02:14 PM

Thank you all for the comments!

You foldks have been very helpfull; hope I can repay the kindness back some day! happy hunt'en everybody.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:32 PM

Default Questions about brands of bows?

Howdy again! Yall;

I was wondering if any of you'ens knew if these brand of bows was a desceent choice forsomeone just starting out in traditional archery Bears paws(light speed)for the recurves or tomahawk(desertfox)long bows? Any un biased opinions appreciated.

Just a Wonder'en!
Holler critter
Old 08-24-2006, 03:12 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Questions about brands of bows?

If you are referring to Ric Anderson's Marriah or the Tomahawk from 3 Rivers, in my experience (and opinion) they are both good bows. Not my absolute favorites, but both among the better ones I've shot.

Starting out, one of the hardest things you will do is order a custom bow. One reason it's so hard is you don't really know yet just what you like and don't like--that's where the being patient part pays off. You can save yourself a good bit of money by getting out to some shoots and getting your hands on some bows, talking to folks, etc. You won't get the full effect with just a few arrows, but you can get an idea at least and know if the grip feels good in your hand, if you like the woods, etc. That's a start, but it usually takes a while to discover the bow that is just right for you--'course that's part of the fun.

Chad
Old 08-24-2006, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Questions about brands of bows?

BTW Holler Critter, Chad didn't say it but he makes some nice bows too and great strings. Check out his site www.recurves.com Had to give you a plug there Chad.

Quick Reply: Longbow or Recurve?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.