Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

New

Old 08-20-2006, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New

Hey there...I'm looking for some pointers. I have been shooting compound for 15 years and have shot at least 2 deer with it every year. I now want to start shooting/hunting with a recurve. I have 2 bows and a million wooden arrows. I have been shooting in the yard, and do ok. What do I need to know? Any tips that can make me more consistant? With my cant, I seem to have to hold 12 inches low at 20 yards to be on...is that normal? Just looking for a little help fellas. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New

I occasionally shoot a stick bow for fun and to strengthen my draw and form, but it's been a long time since I hunted with traditional equipment. If you feel that your aiming low to hit your 20 yard mark check your nock set height. It sounds like it may be a tad high. Bare shaft tuning will help establish a correct set height and spine for correct arrow selection.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Sniper...Cornwall...we must be neighbors.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:46 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

There's lots of different styles that will get you there--if you can find a good shooter to work with you, that would be the route I'd take. If not, a good book is Byron Ferguson's "Become the Arrow" and a good video is Ricky Welch's "Instinctive Archery, Volume II". Two different styles from two excellent archers.

Consistency is the key, as with any bow, firearm, etc. If you can hit the same spot every time, then you know what and how to adjust. If you hit a different spot every time, you need to work on consistency first.

For hunting, you want perfect arrow flight--or as close as a finger release will get you. Bad arrow flight will rob you of penetration.

Get good info and practice, practice, practice. Don't practice bad habits--they will just be that much harder to break.

Good luck!

Chad
Old 08-21-2006, 11:01 AM

Welcome! What LBR said. Remember any archer is only as good as their practice!