Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Too can't or not to can't >

Too can't or not to can't

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Too can't or not to can't

Old 08-06-2006, 01:16 PM

Default Too can't or not to can't

Hi All,

I want to shoot traditional as possible and trying to shoot instinctive and I really don't like rests either very much, is canting your bow better for this or shooting vertical. I have shoot recurves before and I love them, I don't really like compounds bows. Also, I am just starting out again, recurve or longbows, TD or one piece, and lastly which entry level bow for under $ 200.00. Sorry for so many questions, I did ask which bow lastime, but I can't views my msgs for some reason. Thanks again and HH.

Joey
Old 08-06-2006, 02:54 PM

Default RE: Too can't or not to can't

Ok, I'll bite...
Cant v. No Cant- Most of trad archery is feel, so like most other things, its what feels right to you. I feel best with a hard cant into my longbow, but a softer can with a 'curve...
Longbow v. Recurve- Your personal preference. What are you looking for in a bow?
T/D v. One Piece- Again, preference...If you will travel alot, T/D, other than that, its all what feels best to you.
Under $200- To my knowledge, there are only two bows under $200; aPSE Impala Recurve, and Legacy 66" Longbow (Cabelas has them both). You may want to look at the classifieds.

Good luck and keep the questions coming...
Old 08-07-2006, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use a slight cant (about 12:30 to 1 ocloclk), just enough to get a good look at the target. I used to use more, but find that I get a little better feel forback tension when the bow is less canted.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:14 AM
bigcountry

I think I have found, it depends on you, and what you want. Depends on anchor point, face shape, head tilt, back tilt.

I have found I like anchor on my K-9 tooth, for that with my long head and the way I like to position my body in a sneak like position, I need an extreme cant. Like 2:30 position. Part of the issue is I am left eye dominant so for instinctive shooting, I think I have found my position I like.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:51 AM

The vertical style is more consistent. However, at hunting ranges you would never notice the difference. I've flipped flopped both ways and have settled with about 1:00 cant.

Just play around with different styles.... It took me a year of daily shooting to figure out which style I liked best.... I've settled at an instinctive gap aiming method, 3 fingers under, high anchor point, and a pause at full draw while I check the gap and apply back tension......
Old 08-07-2006, 10:43 PM

The way i practice shooting arrows it does'nt seem to matter which way i hold my bow, cant , straight, i practice all hunting scenarios, as you know there will be times where you will be taken shots at game where there will be trees, bushes, etc. in where you will have to adjust the hold of your bow for your shot. I would suggest staying away from 3 fingers under, as if you will be hunting with your bow split finger helps hold your arrow on your string. As like 3 under it is easily for the arrow to fall off the string, especially if doing alot of target shooting where the nock snaps on the string it tends to shrink a spot on the string, after so many arrows being nocked on the bowstring. 3 under i would suggest for target shooters, i am not trying to step on any toes here, but this is my suggestion.