Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

New Bow

Old 06-26-2006, 09:11 PM
Typical Buck

Default New Bow

Well, I got a bow. I took your advice and got a cheaper low poundage bow. It is used and was in pretty good condition. The only blemish I could see was a small burn mark near the lettering. It did not come with a string and I have no idea what kind or size of string to get for it. It was an older man that had the bow and said it hasn't been shot in years. I have pictures of it but they aren't very good quality b/c of my camera. It is a 40# Browning Wasp IT 5906, 56" ?MO (I am not sure what is before the "MO" b/c of the burn mark.) If you all could maybe help me out with the string type, length, and where to get it, I would appreciate it. I will post pics, but like I said, they aren't very good quality.

Old 06-26-2006, 09:20 PM

Default RE: New Bow

Just measure the bow tip to tip and get a string 4 inches shorter than the bow.
You can save money on the string on ebay.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:43 AM

The "MO" you see is missing the "A" as in AMO It basically says the bow is 56 inches AMO..... Send LBR a PM with all the specs and he will build you the perfect string for it! His work is second to none.
Old 06-27-2006, 09:34 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

The Wasp is a good old bow, a bit finicky due to the length, but that will make you concentrate on your form better.

You will need a string that is 52" to 52.5", dacron only. Endless or flemish will work just fine--I'd go with 12 strands. Again, DACRON ONLY (B-500 or B-50).

One thing that is very important (and often is overlooked), especially with lighter poundage bows, is proper nock fit. A nock too loose, you are more liable to have an accidental dry-fire. Too tight, you loose energy and no amount of tuning will give you consistently good arrow flight.

Congrats, and enjoy!

Chad
Old 06-27-2006, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

you all could maybe help me out with the string type, length, and where to get it, I would appreciate it.
I'd suggest buying it right from Chad (LBR). He knows his stuff and I can vouch for his quality.

He'll even match the serving to the type of nocks you are using for a perfect fit.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:50 PM

Well I know LBR is a Good person so his work must be good also.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:28 PM
Typical Buck

Guys just a little update. I went to the bow shop yesterday and had them look at the recurve thatI got. I gave him the whole spill, how it hasn't been shot or strung up in God knows when. He said he was concerned about the limbs being possibly twisted. He told me that if a bow is stored upright or leaning against something for an extended period of time, it has a tendancy for the limbs to twist. I was getting worried about it until he strung it up with a spare string he had. He looked at it and said it was as straight as any new bow out there, that was a big sigh of relief.

A few daysago I went in and told him what set up I had. He recommended the XX75 2117 aluminum arrows @ 29.5" w/100 gr. tips. I have not a clue what is right or wrong for my set up, do you all think this sounds right?? He would only sell me 3 to try in case I didn't like them.

I also purchased a shooting glove, a bag target, and had him put mole skin on my rest. Last week I ordered Bryon Ferguson's book and plan on it getting here sometime this week. I should be ready to go as soon as my string gets here, I hope. I am just getting excited and anxious and needed to vent a little. Hope you guys had a great 4th!!

Trent
Old 07-04-2006, 09:36 PM

Just don't buy too many arrows until you are sure your bow shoots those well.
I suggest you try some wood arrows also.
I don't shoot alunimum at all, I like the real traditional stuff
Old 07-05-2006, 12:12 AM

2117's will be WAAAAY too stiff from your bow. I'd go with 1816's with 100 grain points.

As a bit of a bonus you can get them in Easton's Jazz series of shafts, which are a good bit cheaper than XX75's.

Old 07-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

When you say stiff, what will that cause? Is it a serious issue or is it something you can live with?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.