Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 fledgling archer needs help >

fledgling archer needs help

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

fledgling archer needs help

Old 06-19-2006, 04:05 PM

Default fledgling archer needs help

hey everyone, my names tim and im 17, i just graduated and with some of the money i got , i bought a brand new fred bear grizzly recurve (58", 50#), ive been shooting a compoud for bout 4 years now and wanted to step up to the next level, i got 6 easton st epic arrows in 400, i have around a 28 inch draw, but the nocks are glued in wrong, their glued so that the odd colored fletch cant stick ou it has to go up or down like an arow for a two pronged rest, they dont seem to fly to wierdly, is this a problem, i cant relle tell actually, since im so unnacurate with it anyways, any help would be much appreciated since i dont relle know any other trad. archers and wher im gonna be living this summer is relle far away from any pro shop..
thanks,
tim

Old 06-20-2006, 12:39 AM

Default RE: fledgling archer needs help

Right, LP, it sounds like you might have plastic fletches on those shafts. If you can't rotate the nocks you'll either have to replace the nocks or the fletches. If you refletch get some feathers on there, they are a lot more forgiving than plastics. Might as well get a jig and do it yourself, in fact.

If you're only replacing the nocks get an elevated rest on your bow- the Hoyt Hunter rest is as good as any. You should get acceptable arrow flight that way.

.400 Carbons might be stiff too- Trad bows aren't as centreshot as compounds- .500 to 520 might be better, or about 2016 if you want to try aluminium.

A good video and book combo is "Become the Arrow" by Byron Ferguson- helped my shooting.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: fledgling archer needs help

Congrats on your bow and welcome! Yes, if you are not using feathers, you really need to. If you are using feathers and shooting with a cock feather down, and can not turn or re-nock the arrows (I don't know much about your type of arrows), then I really wouldn't worry too much. The arrow flight should not be effected by this (it will be affected by tune however). Some people actually shoot cock feather in. I'd also get Byron's books and videos, along with Jim Schultz video hitting em like howard. Here are a few links that also might help. Some of the links may suggest anchoring with a field archery anchor, but I'd stick with corner of the mouth.

http://www.centenaryarchers.gil.com.au/the10.htm#Stance

http://www.skookumarchers.com/Archery%20Library/Basic%20Archery%20Shooting%20Technique.htm

http://www.hunting101.com/gunsandbows/bows/bowhunting%20equipment%20and%20skills008.htm