Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

My first recurve...

Old 05-24-2006, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My first recurve...

Hey Everyone! This is my first venture into the traditional forum...because I am interested in getting into recurve shooting. I shot last night for a bit with a friend's Black Widow and it was great! I had shot when I was younger, but never really got into it, but now I think I want. What can you guys tell me in the way of a good first bow for me. I looked at the Hoyt line, which all look really cool, but I know there are others out there. I think the Black Widow is out of my price range a bit. ANY info is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Mike
Old 05-24-2006, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: My first recurve...

YooperMike, welcome.

I really hate when someone does this, but really take a look at the recent Topics in this forum, there has been a bunch of stuff on this very subject very recently.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:33 PM
Banned

Go to a traditional bow shop and handle and shoot some in your price range. we have a great store here that sells new and used ones.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm definitely going to go back to the shop here and play with some of theirs. I just got excited after last night and wanted to post and get some info quickly. Mostly looking for any brands/models you guys have had good luck with. I did check all the other threads today and got good info from them. Any of you guys know much about the Hoyt lineup? Stylistically, they are awesome (IMO).
Old 05-24-2006, 02:01 PM
Banned

Got a buddy that has the Hoyt and he loves it. I have never shot one just handled them and they are a sweet looking bow. Good luck
Old 05-25-2006, 08:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Just like compounds, What works for one person might not work for another. If you get a chance, try different ones out and see. I like Martins, Hoyts, Herters, Damon and Howatt, as well as some of the PSE. If you really want to get froggy and spend some dough, look into the customs. I personally would stear clear of a custom until you know what you like and are willing to spend that much money.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good call burnie. I don't want to dump a ton of money right now since I am not totally sure I will like it THAT much. I was looking at some of the PSE ones because they are low price and would at least give me enough of a start to know if I want to upgrade to a custom or a fancier one. I am a big guy (6'10") and my compound I shoot at 34" so would I need a recurve of at least 60" or more? Like I said earlier, I shot a Black Widow the other night and could get it to a comfortable anchor, but I'm not entirely sure on the length of that one. Any more info is great, thanks guys!
Old 05-25-2006, 10:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

www.recurves.com

Go there and take a look around at ChekMate's lineup, especially at the Falconor Kings Pawn. If your draw length is under 30", I'd definitely recommend the Falcon. If it's over 30, you'd be better served by the Kings Pawn.You can get either one of those custom made for you for much less coinage than a new Bear or Martin recurve would cost you.

In my opinion, when talkingvintage bows, best bang for the buck are: Pearson - Colt, Cougar or Hunter: WingRed Wing Hunter - the 58" version: Bear- Grizzly, Kodiak Hunter, Black Panther; Shakespeare Necedah, Sierra; Root - Any of 'em!

A good resource for checking out specs and stuff on the old relics [8D]is www.archeryarchives.com