Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Getting better

Old 05-19-2006, 03:06 PM
bigcountry

Default Getting better

Here is 20 yards for me. I feel I have came a long way in the past2 or somonths. This is with my longbow.

I have been trying to shoot a few quivers over lunch a few times a week. For me to shoot well, I have been starting at 10 yards, for warm up, then going up close with my eyes closed practicing my release. Then I can usually do ok for 20 or so arrows. After arrow 40, it all goes downhill.

Old 05-19-2006, 04:02 PM

Default RE: Getting better

Those targets look familiar.
Old 05-19-2006, 04:17 PM
bigcountry

Bet they do. Its close to work. So, I hit em at lunch.

Old 05-19-2006, 04:23 PM

That's dang good shooting!! I would say there are very few that consistently shoot that well at 20yds. I shoot daily to maintain that kind of accuracy and still can't do it every day and every shot.... If you can do that out to 25yds, you will be in the top few at just about any tournament you go to......

Good job and congrats!!! It's a lot fun when you hit what you are looking at!!

What's your technique and style?
Old 05-19-2006, 05:00 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Very good shooting! When you get this one conquered, work on a blank bale--if you can do that, you have it whipped.

Chad
Old 05-19-2006, 05:03 PM

Do not post any more pics of your shooting,it make me feel bad for myself. All kiding aside, nice shooting. Looks like you realy got it down. I can shoot 100s of arrows in a day and not get tired, but none of them hit the target like that.

I may as well give up , who wants to buy a bow,give ya a good deal.

Dude, those are nice targets what kind are they?

Hay DC,what type of arrows doyou use in your comps, wood?
Old 05-19-2006, 05:48 PM

Hey Guss...... I use wood and aluminum.... I just bought some carbons a couple weeks ago and plan to use them this weekend....... I get lumped into the modern longbow class due to a 3pc takedown... I figured I might as well shoot the best arrow if I'm in that class.....
Old 05-19-2006, 05:51 PM

That brings up another point..... If some of you are not happy with your shooting, you should try a 3pc bow..... I'm one of those that absolutely can not shoot a 1pc or 2pc bow accurately..... I've tried, I just can't do it.... Put a 3pc in my hands and with a couple days I can shoot it pretty good.....

I'm by no means an expert, heck, I'm still learning all this stuff too... I just thought I would throw that out there.... I envy guys like LBR and BobCo that can shoot so well with 1pc bows....... I just need the extra mass weight I guess....
Old 05-19-2006, 06:49 PM

let me know how you do with carbons double creek.

Good shoting big Country !
Old 05-19-2006, 07:01 PM
bigcountry

Thanks guys for the encouragement, but right now, I am not consistently doing that especially with people watching me. I go thru this cycle, where I warm up and hit the next 12 arrows great, but then, I don't know if I am fatigued or I get a mental block, but one bad shot, and all the sudden question everything, and that makes it worse.Until I can't hit the broadside of a barn. None of you guys warned me that is almost a 90% mental game. But it is. I then move back up to 5 yards and practice my release and form and that seems to get me synced again. Well sometimes.

And my big problem right now is getting that memory in my mind. In other words, after I shot that, I moved back up to 10 yards and was hitting 4" high, then get that dialed in and move back to 20 yards, and hitting like 1foot low. So I am not sure I will be ready to hunt yet this year.

I think I have finally decided on a few techniques. I tried the Fred Asbell high grip and that was horrible, so I used the grip that was on the bow, and shoot low wristed, but I have a huge cant of 2PM. I have also decided 3 finger under is right for me with this bow. Thanks toDC, I think I have had a few huge breakthrus with my release. I kinda get thewhole lettingthe right side of the body relax. But forget all thetimeespecially if other distractions are around.

I am going to the traditional classic in baltimore tommorrow, so I will let you know how my hurt ego is tomorrow. Bet I see some outstanding shots this weekend.

Couldn't done it without you guys. I appreciate all the advise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.