Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 And then Reality Set in >

And then Reality Set in

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

And then Reality Set in

Old 03-28-2006, 12:17 PM
bigcountry

Default And then Reality Set in

Was at the range at lunch. I know you guys told me to be working at 8Yards. But I snuck back to 20 yards. I am not hitting the pie plate. In fact, some groups are like 15".

I know I have alot of years and years to practice, but after one practices for a few months, what is realistic at 20 yards? Pie plate? Kill zone? Smaller? I know it depends on the shooter.

I desparately need some one on one time with a seasoned longbow shooter. I approached a guy that works there and said I would like to pay him for 30 min lesson on Thursday. Right now, I feel my form is about as dangerous as a 7 year old who just found his daddys gun.

And I am going to buy some of the suggested reading.

Old 03-28-2006, 12:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: And then Reality Set in

One thing that I have found in traditional archery is that agendas just do not work. Things have to happen in their own time. Pushing things to fit into predermined time frames just makes it tougher. My advice is to just relax, work hard while practicing, and take time inbetween shots. Only shoot up to about 30 arrows in a day. And don't mix working on form with working on accuracy.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:38 PM

20yds will seem impossible until you start shooting at 20yds.... I've moved my baseline back to 20yds and that is where I do 95% of my shooting when I'm just out keeping my form sharp....

I'd say pie plate is a reasonable goal over the next few months for you.... The trick is getting your form down to where you can do it shot it, shot out...... 20yds is no chip shot... I've killed 30 deer with a bow and onlya handful have been over 15yds..... So don't fret, even with 15yd accuracy, you can be a very successful hunter.....

I believe you must continue to push yourself to get better..... Last fall my base line practice distance was 15yds...... I shot great at 15, but at 20 I really struggled.... Well, by moving back I've gotten much better at that distance.... I plan on moving my baseline to 25yds over the next month or so.... Keep pushing yourself!!

Old 03-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't at all like shooting groups,even ifI'm practicing for a tournament where I HAVE to shoot groups. Hunting or 3D, group sizes mean diddly. It's the FIRST arrow you shoot that matters. Those tournaments where you have to shoot groups, you just gotta remember that those groups are made one arrow at a time.

My favorite practice is taking a judo point out into the woods and shooting worthy targets of opportunity. A beer can here. Soda bottle there. A leaf blowing across the grass. A clump of grass that looks kinda critterish. Even dried up cow pies make good targets - though sometimes they might be a bit 'green' inside.[:'(][8D]

Even if you can't get out to the woods and have to shoot your target, don't shoot groups. Shoot one arrow at a time, the very best you can. If you can ignore that arrow once it's in the target, great. Leave it there and repeat the process. ONE ARROW.If you can't ignore the arrow in the target, then walk over to the target and pull it. Then shootanother.

If it gets to the point where you're thinking more about the shot you just made than you are about the shot you're in the process of taking, it's time to quit for the day.

Remember: The arrow in the target is ancient history. No matter how good it was or how bad it was, it's done. Over. Finished. Forget it. Blank it from your mind. It has no bearing on how you shoot THIS arrow that's on the bow right now. THIS arrow is where all your focus and concentration must be.

Old 03-28-2006, 05:11 PM

I for one use baloons tied to sticks or trees ,that my grandson ties along the trails, ishoot them as I see them first, doesn't matter what the yardage is.

then i sometimes do it in the backyard setting the balloons at 10-15-20-25 yards and that is my target.

My goal is to hit the animal on the first arrow instinctively.
Groups are good for competition.
Peace
Old 03-28-2006, 06:34 PM
bigcountry

I hear ya guys, I really do, I just wish I had some to tell me a few techniques live in person. You guys have went beyond the call of duty, and I appreciate it.

Once I find my style I like I think I will be ok. Honestly, I want to be able to snap shoot, I seem so much more consistent snap shooting. I want to shoot strickly instintively, no rifling the point or gap shooting. I will get there. Hope I might be good enough to bow hunt with it this year. If not,still got thewheel. Its been good to me.God blessed me last year with3 deer and one boar and a ram with my compound, my goal this year is one doe with this badboy. It would be a true trophy for me.

Old 03-28-2006, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see you're from MD.--How close are you to York Co.,Pa. right on the other side of the Mason-Dixon line--straight up I-83?If you live close enough,come up and we'll shoot.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:02 PM
bigcountry

I am near Hanover, PA. So I am pretty close. Maybe we can work out a time to shoot.

Old 03-28-2006, 08:02 PM

When I started out traditional, I couldn't focus or be consistent, but I had been shooting for about 6 months and I was doing all right, but then I was overcome with confidence and my shooting improved drastically. Once you get it you get it, you just have to stick in there. I'm still not the greatest shot but when I hit my anchor point I know its going very close to where I want to hit. One of the main things is to pick a very small spot. AIM SMALL MISS SMALL! Maybe draw a small dot on your pie plate for starters.

Good Luck
Old 03-28-2006, 08:52 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Consistency is the key. Regardless if you hit high, low, left, right--until you hit the same place (or close) every shot, you cannot adjust. If you aren't hitting close to the same spot every time, you are not shooting the same way every time.

Don't worry about shooting "instinctive". That is super hard to master, and most folks that claim to shoot that way actually don't--they have some sort of referance whether they realize it or not. I used to think I shot "totally instinctive", until my first coon shoot where I couldn't see my bow or arrow at all. The only instictive shots I make are moving snapshots--mostly bowfishing--and I miss as many or more than I hit.

Snap shooting is also very difficult to master, and much harder to be consistent with. Don't beat yourself up, just let it happen. Work on form and consistency--accuracy will follow.

Chad

Quick Reply: And then Reality Set in

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.