Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

TWO GREAT HUNTERS

Old 03-07-2006, 10:36 AM

Default RE: TWO GREAT HUNTERS

What about Jackie Bushaman or Ted Nugent.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha, I couldnt hold it in much longer. Man am I funny, I kill me.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:18 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: buckstalker1187

I wonder if this guy should be added?

andnot to mention the sons?

It would definately be interesting to know what some hunters (that I know personally)could have accomplished with corporate funding.

Great hunters? Who knows but them. I would probably have to know how much time they put into it, was it guided, are they consistent, was it on a preserve most of thier animals were killed, did they bait them,what other continents did they hunt. Same list of questions.

Here are what I consider some great hunters.

Old 03-07-2006, 11:21 AM
bigcountry

Another one. These crazy dude, took on lions. And put thier mark onbowhunting that will never be forgot.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:17 PM

Those pictures are of the Benoits. And I think they have a pretty good reputationfor harvestingwhitetails.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:25 PM
bigcountry

Ok, I guess. And these are pictures of Pope and Young, and have a good reputation of killing anything they could with a longbow.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:42 PM

hey, I never said that pope and young didn't accomplish many things.

All I was saying was that it would actually be interesting to see what someonewhom you personally know to be a good hunter would be able to do if they had corporate funding like alot of guys on television do.

I think its very interesting that people have their own ideas on who the greatest hunters were. Alot of the people listed (Im sure) have had great success with taking wild game. History can probally reveal that. All I claim is that these two men were (personally) my own two favorites.
Im not saying anyone else is wrong. Ihave seen everybody's posts and actually went back and read some literature on them and found some great hunting stories. All the men that everyone listed (I feel were among the greats) I dont feel that anyone can be wrong for who they think is the greatest.

Dont you know anyone personally that you think is an awsome hunter? I know quite a few. I often wonder what people would think of these guys if they were filmed on television. Thats why I said it would be interesting to see what some of these guys would be able to achieve if they had corporate funding like most guys you see on tv.

I hope you didn't think I was trying to argue with you big country. I understand where you are coming from. Most normal guys will never be able toexperience an exotic or expensive hunt or go on fancy ranches due to the expense of it.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:58 PM
bigcountry

I don't know about you fellers, but I would love to hunt 365 for a living. I realize there is pressure to it, if you don't perform just like a football player. But I think it is all of our dreams to do what we love. I actually recongize those guys I think. Don't they put out a tracking video? I was going to get it at one time.

Old 03-07-2006, 02:16 PM

yep, they are pretty famous for tracking deer.

I dont know how successfull tracking can be in some areas.But I do know some guys that have hunted in the adirondacks and been very successfull.
I know one guy (an old timer)that has 177 racks in his house and everyone of them is atleast 17 inches wide with the majority of them being far bigger than that.

I also know another old timer that had 223 racks in his house, most of them being from very old mature deer.

Both of these men were trackers in the adirondacks and only used rifle. (i dont know how some of those old timers got so many deer if they were only issued 1 tag per year....( but everyone knows that thats how things happened most of the time back then.)

I know also of some men a little bit closer to my house that are successful also. And they are all very consistant hunters.

Heck, I remember when I was at my taxidermist's getting a deer processed, and a "local legend" brought in his 13th deer of the season, and the season still had a week to go. In the past 9 years I have seen this particular hunter bring in atleast 6 deer each year (every year). And he holds the record for bringing in the most deer shot by 1 hunter in 1 day (7) deer in one day!!!!!

Whenever I mention any of these guys names around my area, these men are like legends. (all being old timers.) I am so glad that I was taught to hunt by one of these legends (who is also an old timer) He taught me things that I never can read in books. He also taught me how to make my own deer scents and some pretty interesting coverscents with certain formulas.

Alot of times I think that I will never be as good as any of these old timers that I know, but I sure do wish that I could be. (maybe someday)
Old 03-07-2006, 02:20 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Just a reminder fellers--this is the Traditional Archery board--try to keep it on topic.

Personally, Ben Pearson and Fred Bear impressed me. I've got "The Legendary Hunts of Ben Pearson" on video, and have a couple of Fred Bear along with the book "Fred Bear's Field Notes". Never get tired of any of those.

There is another fellow, still living (for a long time to come, I hope), that is a deer-killing machine, with a recurve. I think he's taken near 300 now, although maybe half of those were with a compound before he swapped over. His name is Mr. Warren Womack of Louisiana. I've had the pleasure of shooting a round or two with him at a tournament--real nice guy. He's got a video out, featuring a great many of his bowhunts, almost all of which he filmed himself. Mr. Womack walks in a mile or two and uses "hooks" to climb and set his stand. He packs the meat out in an ALICE pack--he shows how he "field quarters" a deer in the woods, and shows that you can get the shoulders, hindquarters, and loins of a big deer in one pack.

I haven't read as much on them as I'd like, but I also admire Pope and Young, Howard Hill, the Wensels,and Don Thomas.

Chad
Old 03-07-2006, 02:32 PM

Fred Bear certainly did a lot to bring bowhunting to its current popularity. He's one of my heroes. Teddy Rooseveltalso did a lot forhunting in general. I don't think huntingin North America would be as good today if it were not for the conservation efforts of TR. He truly deserves our gratitude.

Quick Reply: TWO GREAT HUNTERS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.