Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Aiming? Need some help >

Aiming? Need some help

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Aiming? Need some help

Old 01-07-2006, 04:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default Aiming? Need some help

I often bow hunt with a compound bow. But during winter months I have a hard time hulling around my compound with all my heavy clothes and other gear. This is why Id like to do more bow hunting with my old recurve. I have shot it times before just for something different to try and enjoy it a lot. The main reason i dont hunt with it all the time is because its draw weight is only 35 lbsand a deer would have to be very close to be able to take a shot. My only problem is that i dont no exactly know a way to aim without a pin sight that works for me. Sohow do you guys aim? Im just trying to get different ideas to see if i can find one that im comfortable using.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:10 PM

Default RE: Aiming? Need some help

Please do tell.
Old 01-07-2006, 06:44 PM

I don't really "aim" so to speak... Just practice enough to learn where to hold... It's like shooting a gun off the hip..... You don't necessarily aim, but with practice you can learn where to hold to hit your target....

I recommend doing some searching around and finding some books and video's to get you started......

One good book is Byron Ferguson's "Become the Arrow"
One good video is Rick Welch's "Instructional Shooting Volume 2"

There are many others, but I liked those two the best....

Good luck
Old 01-07-2006, 07:34 PM

I'm pretty much the same as Double Creek. I usually don't aim, I just have learned where to hold the bow at. Sometimes, if I'm having a bad day, then I'll use the gap as a reference but for the most part it's just where I feel it's right to hold my bow at.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:40 PM
Typical Buck

Do you just practice so much that you get a feel for where the arrow is going to go all the time?
Old 01-07-2006, 07:48 PM

Yeah, that's pretty much how you get good at it. I remember when I first started shooting a recurve. I started at 20 yards away and some arrows would hit the target but others would be all over. My advice is to start at 10 yards and just get consistent at that go to 20 yards until you're consistent at that range. If you want a real challengeyou can try 30 yards. While hunting with a trad. bow, I wouldn't shoot an animal past 20/25 yards but it's always fun to try and hit the target past that range. Just practice a lot.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:05 PM
Typical Buck

AWSOME!I gotta lot a work ahead of melol. Thanks for the help!
Old 01-07-2006, 08:16 PM

Yep, I agree with PSE..... Start shooting at 10yds.... Keep in mind where the arrow tip is in relationship to what you want to hit..... Keep practicing and pretty soon you will naturally go to that spot when shooting at 10yds.... Totally concentrate on the spot you want to hit and at the same time keep that arrow tip in you line of sight...... Soon you want even notice the arrow at all.......

Shooting barebow takes ALOT of dedication and practice..... The first month will be the worst.... Check out thebook and video I suggested and learn proper form and you will WAY ahead of the game......
Old 01-07-2006, 08:19 PM

Check the video out from this former IBO world champion

http://tradgang.com//noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001450
Old 01-10-2006, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think that one of the key points is to make sure that arrow is directly below the pupil of your eye. When it is, your left/right shooting will be pretty much on as long as other points of your form is good. To get it just right, try experimenting with your anchor position, the cant of your bow, and the sideways tilt of your head. When you feel comfortable with this practice keeping it consistant. As far as the up/down position, you may want to try gap shooting until you get good and consistant. There is a ton written on gap shooting, so I really won't get into it. After you become good, the gap shooting will become second nature so you really won't have to think about the gap.
I shoot more of a Hill/Ferguson style of keeping the arrow in my periphal (secondary) vision. This works well after you become good with the gap method.

Quick Reply: Aiming? Need some help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.