Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Aiming? Need some help >

Aiming? Need some help

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Aiming? Need some help

Old 01-10-2006, 08:48 PM

Default RE: Aiming? Need some help

There are different ways of "aiming". They sorta blend together. Under one extreme the arrow tip is used like a front sight. Either with three fingers under as in that video, or lower anchor point. The higher the anchor point the nearer the target can be and have you hold dead center with the arrow point and hit dead center. At other than point of aim, you have a gap between the target and the arrow, just like you would if you shot all distances with one immoveable pin. Gap shooting.

The other extreme would be perfect instinctive shooting. This is shooting by feel, like throwing a baseball you don't aim it. You line up your stance and develop a consistent throw, and you learn what adjustments are required to get different distances.

Most instinctive shooting is in-between. Obviously if you really aim, you aren't shooting instinctive. But if you have no idea how your bow is lined up with you, then it's a lot more difficult. So as mentioned getting your eye lined up over the arrow is important. Beyond that, what will probably work for you is to be aware of the arrow position in your "secondary vision", basically peripheral vision. At first this is sorta gap shooting light. But as you progress, you must have all your focus on the target with the arrow merely present in your peripheral vision.

Lots of practice at long range and with moving targets, or stump shooting will help build your toolkit.

One issue is that many compound shooters will be struggling with bow weight, finger release, even without aiming problems. You must master bow weight. Then master your "stroke", the draw through release process, and then move on to mastery of whatever happens during aiming. If a thousand thoughts are flooding your brain you won't be able to hit anything,
Old 01-11-2006, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Other things I'd add is not to get into the compound mode of just group shooting. Also, remember if you are going to take the time to aim, make sure you draw the bow back slowly. Everything should be in rythm.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:02 AM

Howard Hill said all beginners and veterans that want to build a solid foundation should spend 3 weeks of shooting at nothing but a blank bale....... No targets!!!!!! I'm currently going back through that regiment to try and prepare for 3D season........I don't have a bale so to speak so I put my block target on top of my grill in my back yard and stand about 3 feet from it and work on form...... One aspect at a time...... I shoot 5 arrows working on holding the bow arm still....... Then 5 on back tension and surprise release..... Then 5 with my eyes closed... I then repeat the process 1-2 more times....... That puts you right at 50 shots per day working on form..... If you do this for 3 weeks you will be shocked at how much better you will shoot and how much STRONGER you are!!!

Hang in there buddy, it'sa journey!!
Old 01-12-2006, 12:52 PM

hey umm I've noticed somthing about how I aim and well I just look at the point in the target where I want to hit. Soinstead of looking down the arrow shaft I just pull the bow back to my cheek and let my eyes focus on the target and shoot. I've noticed that where you look is where you tend to shoot. I like to hunt squirrels, especialy when they're moving! So keep your eye on the target and fire away!
Old 01-13-2006, 08:51 PM
Typical Buck

When I first started shooting bow I started with a Ben Pearson long bow, The way I learned how to accuratley shoot is pretty much hand eye cordination. Kind of like shooting a shot gun, point and shoot. I noticed when I started thinking of the shot I often came off mark. As I shot more and more I came to know exzactly where to put the bow. So the best I can tell you is to just practice, and make sure nothing is behind the target.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is a game that I play that may also help you develop. I got the idea somewhat from another board.

Start at 5 yards and mark off every yard up to about 15 yards or so. Shoot one arrow at 5, if you hit within about a 4" circle move to six yards, shoot another at 6, if you hit move to 7, if you miss stay at six and shoot another, if you miss that shot, moveup one yardand start again, if you make it at 6, move to 7. Continue this game until you have shot up to 24 arrow, or until you complete the game. If you continue to play this game, it will not allow you to move back until you are ready. I play it in my basement during the winter. After I'm done, I shoot form with as many arrows as it took me to complete the game.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:42 PM

Nice game Bob..... I'll try it..... Why stop at 15yds though? Is there a reason?

Thanks,

Joel
Old 01-19-2006, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yup. that's all I got in the basement! PlusI was speaking moreabout development. I can make the game harder for myself by making the target smaller. I can usually do it with a 4" target in about 12-15 shots, then by the time I shoot the form shots after the game I've shot enough for the day.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:58 PM

I'm gonna try it this weekend, but from 10 to 20yds and see how it goes. I'll let you know how many shots it took
Old 01-19-2006, 01:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

One thing I forgot to mention is not to take two shots if you miss on the way to the target. Example: you make 10 yards, go to 11, you miss one, take another at 11, you miss, go to 10, you miss, go to 9, ect. Only take two shots when you are moving away from the target.

Quick Reply: Aiming? Need some help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.