Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Thinking of turning to the dark side >

Thinking of turning to the dark side

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Thinking of turning to the dark side

Old 01-02-2006, 04:55 PM

Default Thinking of turning to the dark side

Well I have only had my bow (chek-mate falcon) for about three mths and don't get me wrong I love shooting it and the feel of it but I am having trouble finding time to shoot enough to get good and stay good enough to hunt because that is my main passion,the hunting. I am lucky if I can shoot it 2-3 times a week so I may just get myself another compound It hurts just saying it but I want to archery hunt and I don't like the thought of going a field and not being able to take my game as effecient as they deserve. So if I do get another compound I just want to say that everyone on this forum are great and very helpful to a newbie, so thanks.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Thinking of turning to the dark side

You gotta do what you think is right for you, of course. But don't give up on the recurve completely. You can kill a deer just as efficiently with the recurve as you can with the compound. Your effective range might not be as far with the recurve, and you'll have to get closer. Meaning you'd have to be a more efficient hunter in order to get within your effective range.

Try and set up some stand sites where your longest shot would be well within your recurve range and carry your 'curve when you hunt them.

Old 01-02-2006, 05:37 PM

Thanks for the words ArthurP and I totally agree with you the challenge is one of the things I will miss but when I said take my game effeciently I meant putting in the practice time not to make a bad shot, and a compound is a faster way to get good enough to make a make a good shot
Old 01-03-2006, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry to hear that snowman. Like Arthur has mentioned though you have to do what is right for you. Is there anyway you could alter your practice sessions? Remember that quality is such more important than quantity and your first practice arrow is always your most important.

For instance, myself, I like to try to get in a short session in the morning before work. It only takes about 15 minutes to shoot 12 arrows (basement). If possible, I try to get in another session in the evening, again 15 minutes. When I have more time, I get out into the woods and stump shoot as much as possible, but I am usually limited to weekends for that.

Whatever you do, don't get into the regular type of compound practice of exclusively group shooting for 45 minutes to an hour.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bob's absolutely right. Quality of practice is a lot more important than quantity.

Shooting a handful of arrows at each practice session and executing the shotswell and with good concentration is much better than shooting a hundred arrows at a time, but not having the concentration or technique going right. The former builds confidence. The latter makes you want to start shooting a compound. [8D]

Any decision you make though, we've got your back.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:20 AM

I feel your pain........ I hunted with the longbow all the way up to about mid December this year..... I wasn't finding enough time to practice and my shooting was suffering..... I opted to just pick up my rifle and use it for the rest of the year..... Once things slow down with work and the new baby, I will get back to shooting daily.....

I would suggest finding a cheap compound and using both...... When time permits and your practicing and shooting well, use the recurve..... If not, use the compound.....
Old 01-04-2006, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not jumping the post but while reading through it I just wanted to say... to Doublecreek congrats on the new baby.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:26 PM

Thanks Shed33......

My rut hunting came to a hault last week when the little feller caught phneumonia(sp)...... I had the entire week off ........ First things first though and he is fine now.....

I did get out with my 3yr old this past monday and he got to watch Dad shoot a nice fat doe..... Not before he got a shot with his PVC pipe longbow though!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2006, 04:42 PM

Glad to hear your child is alright, the week before christmas my 2 year old was in the hospital for a week because of the same illness(I am not even going to try and spell it) It was a drag to see the little one hooked up to an IV for a week, but all is well now.

PS:I have decided to stick it out and make time to practice and if I am not ready to hunt with it next fall then thats ok, I will just have to use my smokepole
Old 01-05-2006, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

PS:I have decided to stick it out and make time to practice and if I am not ready to hunt with it next fall then thats ok, I will just have to use my smokepole
I think that is a good choice and remember that it will only take a week or so (if that) to get ready with the compound if need be.

Glad to hear all the children are alright, knock on wood things have been pretty good here this year.

Double, did you get the doe with the longbow?

Quick Reply: Thinking of turning to the dark side

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.