Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 Scored - Late Season 8 Point (Pic) >

Scored - Late Season 8 Point (Pic)

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Scored - Late Season 8 Point (Pic)

Old 12-19-2005, 06:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Scored - Late Season 8 Point (Pic)

Late season is always a favorite time for hunting to me. This year I was able to score on a decent buck.

Old 12-19-2005, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scored - Late Season 8 Point (Pic)

Nice buck!

Tell us the story...

I reach a certain point in the holiday season where I basically have to quit hunting as the wife reaches overload and gets overwhelmed with all the crap to do and thats going on. I can't get back out until after New Years day. Luckily, that'll still give me 2 weeks to hunt, and I plan on taking a bunch of afternoon food source hunts.

I'm really looking forward to them
Old 12-19-2005, 08:30 AM

Congrats BobCo!!!!!!!!!!! That's an awesome buck!!!

Old 12-19-2005, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I reach a certain point in the holiday season where I basically have to quit hunting as the wife reaches overload and gets overwhelmed with all the crap to do and thats going on.
I hear ya. But I stay out of the woods during gun season, so I get the chores down then. I also give her an early Christmas Present which really seems to work well . We only have an extra 9 days of late season here. It's all over tomorrow.

Thanks Double Creek.

Story to come - it's long.......
Old 12-19-2005, 09:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I await your tale with bated breath (or is that baited breath [:-])and quivering heart. [8D]

Congrats!
Old 12-19-2005, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

The story:

Well, late season is one of my favorite times of year to hunt. It is usually cold with snow which I love, and around here in NY, the deer are getting back into their normal ways after the war (gun season) is over. I took off last Thurs and Friday to hunt.

I went out last Thursday morning and ignored all of the weather warnings going on in the area (ice storm). I saw 5 deer that day. Tried to stalk three and got within about 50 yards before scaring them away. From the stand, I saw one four point buck which ran by about 30 mph about 20 yards from me. There was no chance on stopping him. I also saw one other buck at about 70 yards walking by. He circled me and came in behind my stand at about 50 yards, but once again he was too far. I believe this is the buck I took later though. I went back to my van at about 11:00 am or so and took a 30 minute nap, when I woke up I had about ¼ inch of ice on the windshield. I decided to high tail it out of there and it was a good thing I did. It only got worse and I had a 50 mile trip back home.

On Friday, I had to get my son on the bus in the morning and wanted to get out for an afternoon/evening hunt. Once again, there were weather warnings out for the area, heavy snow this time. I got all the way out to my hunting grounds and the snow came down heavy. I sat for a half hour and decided to leave and not chance it. Bad decision this time, we only got a couple of inches of snow. I was kind of ticked off.

Saturday again, we had warnings, but my partner who has an F-350 4 wheel drive went out with me. He took his muzzleloader, and I took my longbow. He is also an archer, but when he takes his gun, he won’t sit still. I made him promise to say in the stand at least till 11:00 or until one of called on the walkies.

That morning, very early, I had three does (two were fawns) come in from behind my stand. I wanted to fill my tag with either a decent doe or buck, but I could only see the profile of the deer, couldn’t pick a spot. So, I let them walk. About 20 minutes later I hearddeer coming across the field in front of me (I’m about 40 yards from a field, but still can see into it when the leaves are down). There was a whole herd of deer coming my way. I counted 12 in the field. They were traveling in groups of about 3 or four. As they were coming closer, I did not want to commit myself from my stand in either direction. They were coming from directly in front of me and for now, I had the wind in my favor. Two fawns were the first to come within range of me. On the deer run they were on, I had three lanes that the deer could go through. Of course I let the youngsters walk, about 20 yards behind them a decent doe came out, again on the same deer run. I had full intentions oftaking this deer. However, I took another glance in the direction they were coming from and this buck was coming. So, I let the doe walk. The buck was about 30 yardsbehind thedoe (all used the same deer run). The two fawns were now waiting for the doe to catch up and they were about 15 yards from me. I couldn’t look at them, as I was fixed on this buck. The buck came through the first lane at 23 yards. I tried to stop him, but he wouldn’t have anything to do with it. But, I knew I would have another and better chance on another lane which was 18-20 yards from the stand. Sure enough he was just coming into this lane and I stopped him. Too bad he stopped just a little soon and his vitals were being blocked by a sapling. I had the bow back already and didn’t want to move. He took one step forward, and on a quartering away shot, I let him have it. He kept the arrow, but I got full penetration up to the fletching, broadhead sticking out the other side. The arrow hit maybe an inch behind the exact spot I was aiming at. He took off running almost like a heart shot deer straight out of the gates. I couldn’t see blood from the stand, I didn’t see the deer go down, and I didn’t want to risk anything, so I waited a full two hours (I also wanted my friend to continue hunting). The first three deer took off with the buck, but within about 5 minutes, I had deer all around my stand. I didn’t want to spook them either. Crows where now going nutts right in the direction the buck ran. I got down after two hours and circled around to where I saw the buck in a full boat run, prabably about 20 yards of the POI. There was good pink blood which shot up to three feet off to both sides of his trail in the snow. I called my partner on the walkie talkie and told him what had happened and let him know I was taking down my stand, and I would be over to him in an hour to take down his stands (I have better safety equipment then him). We took everything to the truck and headed back to pick up the trail (it was about 4 1/2 hours after the shot now). He took him muzzleloader, just in case. And I took my tags, some rope, and my knife.

To make a long story short, the buck only went about 60 yards from where I checked the trail. Blood was sprayed everywhere even five feet up on the side of trees. After a few high fives, I field dressed him, and we started the ½ mile drag back to the truck.

It was a great day!
Old 12-19-2005, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats. Great story... great deer. Where in NY was it?
Old 12-19-2005, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

Nice buck Bob, CONGRATS!! I love hunting the late season too, but haven't been able to get out there much this year, so thanks very muchfor sharing it all with us!!
Old 12-19-2005, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

Good Job buddy
Old 12-20-2005, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys!

Bugs, it was taken in Northern Catt County, which is South Western NY, also known as part of NY's snow belt. Lake effect snow can be a real PITA.

Quick Reply: Scored - Late Season 8 Point (Pic)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.