Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

New bow...HELP

Old 12-04-2005, 08:35 AM

Default New bow...HELP

Im finally getting a new bow (Really this time, not like the umpteen other times I've asked yall for your adivice, its finally comin together...)

Im up in the air between the Bear Montana and the AIM/PSE Viper Deluxe Longbows...Im currently likin' the Bear, but the Viper has yet to have a bad review ive heard of...which one do you guys think is a better bow?
Or any other sub $300 longbow for that matter?

BTW- It'll be 50@28 (I draw 27)

Thanks/Sorry again...
Old 12-04-2005, 04:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New bow...HELP

I dunno... I really think it's a coin toss between the Montana and the Viper. When I first shot the Montana, I didn't like the squarish grip on it. Then after an hour or so, my hand kinda got accustomed to it and I wound up noticing I could get a very repeatable grip with it. It shot fine, and it's made here and it IS a Bear... 64" long.

The Viper has a nice, conventional grip. I think the Viper Delux is a nicer looking bow than the Montana. Korean import. 68"bow. About50-75 bucks cheaper.

Performance-wise, I don't think there's a nickle's worth of difference between them.

I think the 64" Montana would be a better match to your 27" draw than the 68" Viper, but it's your call whether you can handle the boxy grip or not. (And you always have the option of getting after the grip area with a wood rasp.)
Old 12-04-2005, 06:29 PM

I had heard some complaints about the grip, but the Zipper Im shootin' right now has a grip a gorilla could handle...but I do prefer a narrow grip. Im going to try to get up to BassPro after school this week and shoot the Montana...
Thanks a bunch...
Old 12-04-2005, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

I have a friend that has the montana. He sanded the grip to fit his hand better with a palm sander And then refinnished the handle. Its a lot more comfortable.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:45 PM

Well, crapola. I just sold a viper a couple of weeks ago on ebay. I would have gladly sent it to you to let you try out...... In fact, I would have just sold it cheap. Awwww well. I did like it. I have a 29.5ish draw and it suited me very well. It was actually a pretty amazing shooter for the $120 I paid. They are more now, but a couple of years ago FS had a sale . I only sold it because I always reach for the massie, and it was just sitting there....

Like AP said, for your draw I don't know if you would need that much length, but I think you'd be happy with the quality.

Just so you know, AIM is just the importer. The actual company is called internature. New website and I can't find the english version, but a lot of it is in english anyway. http://internature.co.kr/
C-