Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 need help with carbons >

need help with carbons

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

need help with carbons

Old 11-21-2005, 10:52 PM

Default need help with carbons

I am new to carbon arrows. I need to add 100 grains to my arrows to get 8 grains per pound of bow weight. Has anyone used the weight tubes? I am figuring you cut them the length of your shaft minus the length of the insert and just glue the insert in to hold it in place. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: need help with carbons

ccarp00, carbons from trad bows are a different animal. Before we can go further, could you please post the weight and draw length of what type of bow you are shooting (and how centercut the shelf is if you know) and what carbon arrows you are planning on trying?
Old 11-22-2005, 10:26 AM

This may sound crazy, but I use silicon. take the tip off and take the nock out and shoot the silicon right down the shaft until its full completely. It adds weight but doesn't change the spine, all my arrows fly great after doing it. I am pulling 56-57lbs and my arrows with inserts knocks tips weight in at around the high 300grns after putting the silicon in them they jumped up to the low 500's and I noticed a dramaticdecrease in bow noise, arrows are slower but speed doesn't kill even when I shot compound I hatedall therage about speed. The weight tubes are good but they only come in 1 or 2gpi so if you are like me and have 31" arrows the most you will add with the tubes is 62gpi to your arrows if thats enough then go with the tubes.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Are you sure that the silicon won't eventually break down the arrow?
Old 11-22-2005, 12:04 PM

I was given this idea from a guy a who has used this method and he said that it has lasted as long as he has had the arrows. Over a long period of time it may break down the arrow but I always need new arrows within a couple of years due to all thestump shooting I do and small game/varmit shooting I do. Carbons are more durable but they not unbreakable and they are just as easy to loose as any other material. but never the less I will monitor the arrows and make sure I post any sideeffectssilicon has on them.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:25 PM

Rangeball: I am shooting 60# @ 28" through a PSE KUDU recurve. I am using gold tip shafts, 3 rivers 5 inch parabolic feathers, and 125 grain heads. I am trying to add about 80 grains to the arrows. I have found the weight tubes at 3 rivers archery that are 3 gpi. I appreciate any help.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Which spine gold tips?

Have you bare shaft or broadhead tuned them to see if the spine is right?

Old 11-22-2005, 07:36 PM

They are spined 55/75. I havn't shot them yet because a friend said they are too light to shoot saftley. Do the weight tubes change the spine that much?
Old 11-27-2005, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

i really like my carbons. cabelas cheapies, there thin and fly great. silicon. i'll have to try that. only thing is mine tend to break due to squirrel hunting. might have to go to a heavier weight.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ccarp00, just a hunch, but I'd recommend you add the weight you need (and probably much more so) up front in the form of heavier broadheads, heavy steel glue on screw in adapters or a heavy brass insert, or possibly all 3.

Carbons seem to shoot much stiffer out of trad bows than their rated spine range suggests. I'm shooting 250 grains up front on my CE terminator 4560s from a 45# recurve, and am getting great flight. My finished arrow weight is 12 grains per pound (last year out of my compound I was right at 5... Man how times have changed )

Have you bare shaft tested your gold tips? Do your field tipped arrows hit the same point as your broadheads? If not, how do they differ?

Quick Reply: need help with carbons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.