Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Nock point issue

Old 10-27-2005, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Nock point issue

I use a tied on nock point with braided serving material, lots of knots then superglued to itself.

Have shot like this for a few months without issue.

Today I was shooting really low, discovered my nock point had slipped up a good 3/8".

Corrected it, then tied off above it with dental floss. However I'm now nervous as $*%@ knowing with my luck Murphy is usually right around the corner.

I have contemplated gluing it to the serving, but I use a B-50 string that may still stretch, and am not convinced that if it does stretch when I twist it back up the nock point will be in the same spot. Will it?

What do you use for a nock point? Any slipping problems?
Old 10-28-2005, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Nock point issue

Usually if I am using a new string, I tie on the nock a little loose and short until the string breaks in (I can move it easier). When I have found the correct nock point and the string if broken in, I will take them off an retie a much tighter and longer nock point that will not move. I also use a serving thread for the nock, but make sure it is smaller then the string serving.

But, I also check the nock point and brace height quite often.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:48 AM

Write down for each bow nock point height, brace etc. I'd keep a list somewhere in the "bow room" so you will have it. I think I'm even going to add string info just in case. That way if it moves you just look at your list and see where to put it back.
That's what I do anyway, but I haven't had one move on me yet. I use the little brass ones till it's tuned in then tie on....
Old 10-28-2005, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use whatever is handy. Usually dental floss, but I've also used braided fastflight, dacron serving, strands from an old bowstring (ff and B-50), upholstery thread....

I think my favorite is dental floss, because it's thin enough to wrap down into the serving and won't slip. Of course, you can't adjust it either, so you have to replace it if it needs adjusting. That's usually not a problem though. Unless you've had to twist the living snot out of the string the nock point won't move significantly.

One thing I do after twisting the string is to restring the bow, then twist the string under tension, about 5-6 twists, then slowlyslacken my grip and on the stringand let all those twists unwind.My theory isthat helps immediately distribute the twists you put in the string evenly over it's whole length instead of keeping them on one end until they finally distribute on their own. That keeps the nock location constant.

Another of my little tricks... I tune the bow and find the right nock locationusing a brass nock. Then I measure it and replace the brass one with a tied nock.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am using number 4 nylon tied on for nock points. Leave a tag end and burn them, wet a finger and roll the still hot melted portion back onto itself t hold things together while you get it adjusted right. Once you've got things fine tuned you can use either super glue or duco and glue it down. I usually do two or three coats with duco and it works maaaaaaaaaavalisly .