Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Looking for a longbow

Old 10-09-2005, 01:19 PM

Default Looking for a longbow

Hey guys, I recently decided I want to start learning to shoot a longbow, but Im not sure of a good quality brand. I would like something around 45lbs. There arent really any stores that carry them around where I live so I cant just go out and shoot a bunch of different bows. Any thoughts? Thanks
Old 10-09-2005, 03:57 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Looking for a longbow

That is a REALLY tough questions, because many of the bows marketed as "longbows" these days vary so much. You have anything from the traditional straight limb or mild reflex design with a straight grip to some super radical designs that are longbows only in name; and pretty much everything in between. You have them from 70" to 56" or less (56" 'longbow' just seems like a contradiction in terms to me), very light and small risers to super heavy 3-piece take downs. Straight grips, locator grips, recurve grips, etc. etc. etc.

There are lots of great bows on the market, but which ones are good ones depends on who you ask. One person may swear by a particular bow while another may swear at it. That being said, my favorites to date are:

Chek-Mate
Navajo
Morrison
Marriah
Black Forrest

The price range can vary a good bit with these, depending on the woods used and how fancy you want to go. I haven't found a "cheap" longbow that I'd care to own (even though I have owned a few), but on the other hand you don't have to spend $1,000 and wait a year or two to get an excellent bow. In my opinion, the most expensive bows I have shot were not the best shooting ones, or even the best looking. Again though, that has to do with personal preferances.

You best bet would be to try and get to some shoots next summer and get your hands on as many different ones as you can. Get a "short list" of the ones you like, then do some research--see how long they have been around, what kind of warranty they offer, customer service, etc. and go from there. It took me 4 years of research before I bought my first longbow, and although it was a great bow I still moved on to a different one. I believe I have found "the" bow for me, but I still shoot different ones just to make sure something hasn't come along that I like better. I've been shooting my #1 for several years now, but there's always a chance I'll pick up one I'll like better--not much of a chance, but a chance all the same.

Chad