Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Do you use both ?

Old 09-10-2005, 02:29 PM

Default Do you use both ?

Finally got the bug to use my recurve to hunt & shoot with. My question is , do you still use your compound bows once you are proffecient with a traditional ? Also , are there any good books on recurve shooting ? Thanks ...
Old 09-10-2005, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do you use both ?

I didn't start using compounds until the early 80's. Hunted with them a few times, but I shot them mostly in competition. I never laid aside my stickbows though. I've got a really nice Hoyt ProTec stashed away in it's case under my bed right now. It hasn't even seen light of day except for routine cleaning and maintenance in nearly 2 years. I'm putting it on Ebay pretty soon. I'm donating all my old compounds and accessories to the archery club. Getting rid of it all. Not because I've got anything against compounds. It's just that I don't do competition any more and I simply enjoy shooting a recurve or longbow SO much more than fiddling with a compound.

Oh yeah... books. "Become the Arrow" by Byron Ferguson. He shoots longbow, but his aiming method works equally well for recurves and barebow compound.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:43 PM

I planned on using both, but after a few months of shooting a longbow, I sold my compound...... For 2 reasons, 1 was for money and the other was to make sure I was concentrating enough on my longbow shooting....... With no backups, I make sure I'm on my P's & Q's...

I agree with Byron's book being very good. I also highly recommend getting Rick Welch's Traditional shooting video VOLUME 2..... Forget Volume 1, it sucks.... But Volume 2 was excellent IMO.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

IME, switching back and forth is a surefire way to screw up your shooting with both...one or the other...I'm doin the same as DC...no compound....cos when I've got frustrted in the past with a trad bow, I "fell back" to my compound instead of figuring out and correcting what is wrong with my trad shooting...

prob is...the techniques are so different and the way the muscles are used is so different you just mess EVERYTHING up, and get very frustrated

And DC...yup...I bought that firstRicky Welch vid yesterdaycos my local shop had it...what a joke..and a waste of $.[:'(]
Old 09-11-2005, 07:24 PM

Jeff,

Volume 2 is great and has helped me tremondously.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

To tell you the truth, no. I have a few compounds around but I have not touched them in a long time. Tradtional is just too much fun.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I read Become the arrow, and other than cant the bow to get the shaft under your eye so your shots will be on the vertical plan, I never really got what Byron was trying to say about aiming for distance.

Anyone care to share?
Old 09-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rangeball, it's like using a pin sight for distances different than what the pin is set for. Say you've got a single pin sight set at 40 yards, but want to shoot a target that's 20 yards away and don't want to adjust the sight. You have to hold the pin some distance under the target for the arrow to hit center. It takes a little trial and error to figure out just how far under you have to hold for the arrow to hit.

That 'gap' between the pin and the target changes for the different distances. You'd hold a little lower than that for a 15 yard target and a little higher for a 30 yard target. You'd hold dead on to hit at 40 yards and over the target to hit at 50.

He uses the tip of his arrow for a pin. The only difference is, he doesn't look directly at the tip of the arrow. He concentrates on the spot he wants to hit, but is also consciously aware of the arrow's tip and the gap in his peripheral vision.

To give you a better idea of what's going on there... Concentrate on staring at a picture on the wall, then point your finger at a spot on the wall about a foot below the picture. You are still staring at the picture but you also see your finger below it. Does that help?

Old 09-12-2005, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, that's what I've been doing, so the interpretation must have been subliminal...

I've often thought about building a hunting arrow that would allow me a point on at 20-25 yards. That'd be cool... Probably weigh a whole bunch though, unless I went to shooting 3 finger under or something. With my current 1 up 3 finger split, my point on is pretty far out there...
Old 09-12-2005, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

The guys who shoot tradtional and do well in indoor spot shoots, they have their arrows' length cut to give them an exact 20 yard point on. to do that, you just make them longer. Of course, that also means you have to go up in arrow spine and that usually means heavier arrows. Just gotta experiment with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.