Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 target panic/snap shooting >

target panic/snap shooting

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

target panic/snap shooting

Old 08-26-2005, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default target panic/snap shooting

a question for all who have beaten this......

im getting better, buy sometimes i revert to my old target panic days, and basically snap shoot. if i make myself hold it and count to say 3 or 5, it helps, but then i have more of a tendency to pluck it. how did any of you beat this? in my house, or out back i can hold my bow back for quite a while right on target, but for some reason its different when i go to shoot. how to i get my mind back on track here?

thanks in advance
Old 08-26-2005, 03:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: target panic/snap shooting

I've had it bad and still have relapses. What has worked best for me was to drop way down in draw weight and do a lot of blind bale shooting. I generally shoot around 50 pounds, but I got a 35 pound bow for working on my form.

Also, I noticed I only got the snap shooting bug when I was shooting targets. When hunting or stump shooting, I don't have a speck of problem with it. So, I shoot targets as little as possible.
Old 08-26-2005, 03:45 PM
Dominant Buck

I get impatient and snap shoot or pluck a lot , counting a little also seems to help me , but I'm wide more often than I'd care to admit . I noticed that when I switched from a standard paper target with a comfortable size target spot to a 3-D with just a small black spot on the heart of the core my shooting improved . Focus is often elusive for me , perhaps some meditation would be in order ...

Ohhhmmmmm ...
Ohhhmmmmm ...
Ohhhmmmmm ...
Old 08-26-2005, 05:46 PM

When I do it, it's on a 3D target..... I don't know what it is, but sometimes the 3D targets scares me...... That's so stupid, but I'm actually scared of it I guess a miss on a block style target doesn't look as bad as a "gut" shot on a 3D deer.....

Another problem I have is almost reaching anchor and getting close to settling in but never quite get there.... Instead of letting down, I just let her fly....... I've got to quit doing that......
Old 08-26-2005, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Keep practicing you will get there.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

its nice to know im not the only one who struggles with this. that counting part really does help, but i think knowing exactly when im gonna shoot before i even draw makes me flinch.

it does seem i do better when i pick a spot (duh), but for some reason that isnt always as simple as it should be.......

Old 08-28-2005, 08:34 PM

Picking a spot does helpwith target panic. Thats a part of the mind set I try and achieve before each shot, and once at anchor if I forget to squeeze my shoulder blades I may not reach full anchor and release. Counting at full draw has helped me some, mostly to make me settle down and visualize my arrows flight path to the spot. This is good practice in the backyardto help me when I'm trying to break down my shot trying to over-come a problem, but it's not practical in hunting. Atleast it's not for me. When I'm at my best it feels right and all movement flows except for a brief pause at anchor just prior to release.

Jim