Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Grizzly Broadheads

Old 08-04-2005, 08:18 AM

Default Grizzly Broadheads

Does anyone here use Grizzly Broadheads? I am going to try some 160 grn heads this year - About the only ones I can find that are that heavy - That and I read that they rotate in as they are cutting making a very large hole

Mike
Old 08-04-2005, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Grizzly Broadheads

Well, I do know a few things about them. I believe they were the best penetrating head from Dr. Ashby's reports. They have a single sided blade which is suppose to be the sharpest out there. However, it is also one of the hardest to sharpen, and I no longer use them because of it. Others I know have also given up on sharpening them. But, there are also people who are experts in sharpening them.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:08 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I have some, but haven't tried them yet. Ace also makes a heavy broadhead, along with Ribtek and I believe Stos. Never heard about them rotating--I really don't see how they could make a larger hole whether they did or not, but I don't know.

Chad
Old 08-04-2005, 11:08 PM

Just ordered some 130 grainers, and am going to give them a try, a friend of mine has used them for years and will not use nothing else. He has taken--deer, elk, bison with theseheads. For sharpening the broadhead, he uses a small flat file,If you can put an edge on a knife you should be able to put an edge on a broadhead, keep at it till you can shave hairoff your arm...RobinHood36>>>=============<>
Old 08-08-2005, 09:35 PM

Why use a grizzly broadhead ?

In Killing the animal size matters, compare a grizzly's width and a magnus and Zwicky and see the difference in width?

That wide cut means the difference between getting a good bleed and having an animal lost.

I have shot over 100 pigs and 5 bears,using just about all types of traditional broadheads, nothing like a magnus or a zwicky, heck! even the old bear broadheads are better and easier to sharpen.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:49 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Depends on your bow weight and what you are shooting Alex. For most game animals, if you can pull a reasonably heavy bow most any decentbroadhead will do. Pigs can be tough, but usually aren't that large, and if you put the arrow in the right spot, they can be penetrated.

Now, if you are hunting a super tough animal, a very large animal, and/or are limited in what you can pull, Grizzlys are great. I know a lady in PA who killed a record book gemsbok with her longbow, pulling 47@26 --that's all the weight she could handle. However, she still got complete broadhead penetration on this elk-sized critter--she was using Grizzlys. With a wider blade, there would have been too much resistance and she wouldn't have gotten as much penetration. BTW, it went approximately 65 yds and piled up.

I've been talking to different hunters who have killed water buffalo. These are super tough animals--thick hide, large, tight ribs, huge bodies with the vitals down deep. The preferred head for these hunters is Grizzly, because of the penetration. A large hole doesn't mean squat if it doesn't get to the heart and lungs. Some even narrow thethe head for better penetration.

In Dr. Ed Ashby's tests, the Grizzly broadheads were tops in penetration. Personally, I rather have a smaller hole in both lungs than a larger one in one lung.

That being said, I don't hunt with Grizzlys--I shoot a fairly heavy bow, and have never hunted any animals that were that hard to kill. I do plan on it though, and Grizzlys are one of the top broadheads I will consider for it.

Chad
Old 08-08-2005, 11:12 PM

LBR, totally agree.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:56 AM

LBR, I guess it is a matter of preference.

I have taken down a 1400 lBS Bison in South dakota with my self made 50#hickory/bamboo bow and using zwickys, the animal walked 20 yards and tumbled over.The Arrow came out of the other side almost 10 inches

I have also shot in argentina a 7X7 red stag probably around 800 lbs with the same equipment through and throughand a grizzly that measures 91/2 feet also through and through.
Of course being a taxidermist has taught me how to sharpened any knife or blade, these things are so sharp they slice paper like a scalpel.

So you guys use what you feel comfortable with.

Iam now making heads of my own similar to the Grizzleys but wider on back, out of stainless steel, I have only shot one pig but a small one this past weekend and went through the lungs and out the side of the face, only ran 10 yards.I'll let you know when I get a big animal with them.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:33 AM

Alex, i also am a big fan of the zwickey, after reading Dr. Ashby's report in Africa it really impressed me about the Grizzly broadhead, i also wished they would of tested the Zwickey broadhead, in there report. I am going to use the Grizzly this year on elk, i am convinced i will have great results with this head, put in the kill zone.
I would like to see a broadhead which you are making, can you post a pic., Thank you,
RobinHood36>>>=============<>
Old 08-09-2005, 10:07 AM

Iam Sure you will do well Robinhood, At least I wish it so for you.

Yes many big animals have being taken with the grizzlys', so I don't think you have to worry about it, it also shot placement, Right?

I just believe from also butchering animals for eating, when I was younger, that a broder blade has a better chance of finding a vital artery or vein, at least that is what I was taught in South America ,where my parents had gone to be missionarys for many years.

We had to learn to butcher animals with a knife, I experienced that a thin long tip knife tapering back to a wider blade did the job quicker.

So I figure when you are arrowing an animal the same principle applies, a thin tip widening on rear has a better chance of finding a vein or artery.

also there is in my opinion a misconception that an arrow that passes through is a quiker kill, and i say an arrow that stays with the tips in the vital area, makes the animal move and run or walk, that tip is also moving back and forth and slicing the lungs or heart, I guess the thing is placement shot and sharpness.

I wish I could post a pic of my blades, but I don't know how to do it in this forum.
If you walk me through the process I could.
Thanks my friend, good hunting.

Quick Reply: Grizzly Broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.