Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Need some help.

Old 07-13-2005, 07:16 PM

Default Need some help.

Ok, I am going to try and explane this the best I can. I am having problems with my grip. A few weeks back I crashed my bike and tore up the palms of my hands,
especially my left palm (the one that holds my bow). It is healed fine butthe muscle still hurts alittle,dosent bother me at all.As soon as it healed I was shooting aging and doing rather good. This was about 2 weeks ago now I am shooting likeI am just starting, all over the target and woods. I started looking at all my form points and realised that my grip has changed, and that it has been like this for awhile. I shoot a flat grip, no dish or anything, just flat. The guy who made it briefly showed me how I should be holding it andthat is how I shoot it for the first few mounths. He said to line the knuckle of my thumb with the center of the bow,this makesthe shooter grip the side of the bow with the palm and not the back of the grip, like on a compound (this is were I wishI had digital camera).This grip gives a vary stable hold and makes for a more forgiving bow (or so I have been told).

Ok, now if that was understandable, this is my problem. I must have switched my grip along time ago because my mucles are not holding the bow to full draw, I have lost about 1in, but here is the weird part I am getting great groups. The groups arenice to see but something dosent feel right, I feel out of control, like I just throw my bow up and shoot, my wrist will give out if I take my time, like I did with the old grip.

All in all I just want some opinions on how I should be holding this bow, the new way puts lots of stress on my arm muscle and I realy get a good kick from the bow,that I can feel all the way in to my back (dosent happen with the old grip). The old grip is comfortable but I cant hit anything with it. If any one has a digital camera and could pust a pic of your grip at full drawI would be more then greatful, I think it would realy help me out

Thanks for reading all this and for any help you guys can give.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:53 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Need some help.

Lining up your knuckle with the back of the bow is the way Bob Wesley taught. He's is an excellent shot (or at least was--haven't seen him shoot in a while, and he's getting on up in years). However, I felt the same way--that type of grip just doesn't feel right or natural to me, so I don't shoot bows with that style grip. Sorry I can't help.

Chad
Old 07-13-2005, 09:01 PM

what is the name of the bow? I remember seeing one person shoot a bow with his bow thum sticking straight up on the belly side of the bow. I don't think that will help because you would have remember that one.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:18 PM

It is a Northermist Baraga. Steve makes them with any kindove grip the shooter wants, I picked this one because I thought it would work well for me, that is still to be seen.That is the grip the he uses (i think) so i figured it was the best. I am sure I can make it work, I will just have to build my wrist back up.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:15 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Maybe I'm just set in my ways, or too hard-headed, but over the years I've decided that I'm not going to adjust my grip or shooting style to fit a bow--there are too many out there I can just pick up and shoot, without having tochange anything. I can't help but get my hand right on my #1 bow--the grip is made so you will put your hand in the right spot naturally.

I know a straight grip can be shot accurately--Howard Hill did it, Bob Wesley did it......but I'm not Howard Hill or Bob Wesley. Maybe I just didn't give it enough of a chance? I'm pretty happy with my accuracy though (well, most of the time anyhow).

Chad
Old 07-14-2005, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I always thought a straight grip longbow was supposed to ride in the web next to your thumb and down into the "baby's butt" at the base of your palm.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:23 PM

My wrist must be a little worse off then I thought, it is vary week still,this maybe the reason I am having such a problem. AP the way described is the way I have shot it for the most part, now that my wrist is acting up (it has been broken befor, but isnt this time) it dosent feel right. I have been doing some range of motion exersises so it should get better soon and maybe I will get back into the grove.