Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
Still hunting question >

Still hunting question

Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Still hunting question

Old 09-20-2002, 12:30 PM

Default Still hunting question

I’ve been reading that still hunting involves moving very slowly through known deer habitat while stopping every few steps to thoroughly survey the immediate area for deer using your naked eye and binoculars. The articles that I have read stress making your movements as slow and natural as possible to avoid detection as a predator. My question is this: What do you do with your bow when you are glassing the surrounding area? It seems to me that dropping your bow on the ground and then picking it up again every time you use your binoculars would make you unnecessary vulnerable to visual detection. I don’t know that for sure as I am new to hunting, but I am curious how others, who are more experienced, handle this.
Old 09-20-2002, 02:29 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-20-2002, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Still hunting question

The object of still-hunting is to see the deer before they see you.If you're jumping deer out ahead of you,you're moving to fast.Slow the approach,stop and pick apart every bit of terrain.When you see a part of the deer-and most times that is all you will see-then plan your stalk.It can be tough but it can also be a very effective way to kill a deer.Also check your back trail once in awhile for any that may have gotten around you.
Old 09-20-2002, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

There is no "formula" for still-hunting. It's about being absolutely aware. Read that line again.
I go into a woods and stop. I stand or sit there until I "feel" that the woods/nature/environment whatever you want to call it, has accepted me as one of it's own. I leave behind everything that has to do with work, problems at home, any worries or thoughts at all, except just this moment, right now. If you can do that, you ARE an animal. A predator. You will move as one. You will be aware of wind direction and sound. You will learn to scan ahead with your vision, and pick the cover apart with your eyes.
BTW, I rarely use binoculars. Here in S. Indiana, it is too brushy and close for them. I can see how they'd be indispensable out West.
A good book on still hunting is Asbell's "Stalking and still hunting"
Old 09-20-2002, 06:35 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Most of my still hunting is done in thick brush and im trying to sneak up on a bedded deer or one that is feeding <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

It’s my understanding that bedded deer generally situate themselves such that their backside is into the prevailing wind so that they can smell danger coming from behind and they use their eyes and keen sense of hearing to keep aware of what’s going on in the front of them. If you are using the wind to your advantage, how do you manage to sneak up into bow range of bedded deer without them seeing or hearing you? Also, we have blacktail deer here and I’ve heard that if you consistently still hunt them on their beds in a particular area, this will cause them to become nocturnal in their behavior in order to avoid hunters. Are whitetails different in this regard?
Old 09-21-2002, 03:42 AM
Spike

In my experience white tails are the same. They will usually go nocturnal on you if you're careless and continue to get busted trying to sneak up on them in their bedding areas.
Old 09-21-2002, 07:16 AM
Typical Buck

Lots of good info. I do like John Nail and leave my human self at the entrance to the woods. You have to become one with Nature to be the best predator you can be. Watch a cat stalk up on a mouse in a field. It's not like they can hide behind a blade of grass, but they sure seem to do just that, don't they? That and they never move, not a muscle, when they can see the eyes of their prey. Over the eons, man has observed and learned from the other animals and things havn't changed much. We still have to learn from watching those animals we are trying to hunt and the ones we are trying to emulate.

Practice still hunting. Preferably in someone elses hunting area, lol. Practice on rabbits, squirrels and whatever else you can find to stalk up on. Take your bow and do some stumping/small game hunting while you're at it.

It all boils down to learning your quarry, the environment and yourself. For a quick kickstart on still hunting, I highly recommend getting Asbels book on the subject. It's well worth the read.
Old 09-21-2002, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

Lots of good advice on still hunting. As to your original question:
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>My question is this: What do you do with your bow when you are glassing the surrounding area? It seems to me that dropping your bow on the ground and then picking it up again every time you use your binoculars would make you unnecessary vulnerable to visual detection. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

When I was in CO last week I wore a backpack. When I'd stop to glass I'd hang my longbow by the string across the backpack waist strap buckle. No arrow on the string so it's easy. Sometime I'd just sit the bow tip on the ground and lean the bow into my chest. I can't glass one handed. Too shaky for me.

When I'm at home in South Arkansas I usually don't carry binos but do on occasion. I mostly still hunt AR with an arrow strung.

There is a product out there that is a hook that goes on your belt to hang your bow from.

http://www.hotspothunting.com/common...end=0&id=18984

Romans 8:28
Old 09-21-2002, 08:33 AM
Fork Horn

Last year I was busted while upwind of a deer. I scrunched down and circled downwind. When I thought I got ahead of the deer I started walking towards them trying to make as little noise as possible, and not get tangled up in any of the brush. I got about ten yards from the bush they were hiding behind before it snorted the imfamous, &quot;PHPHPHPH!&quot; Gave me a pretty good scare. It had rained before then and was still drizzling a bit, so that helped me be quiet. So from that experience I'd say the biggest factors are playing the wind, minimizing noticable movement, and noise.

God bless,
Brandan

Old 09-21-2002, 05:50 PM

Muddler,
I hunt from a ground blind in the morning and then still hunt the rest of the day. If I have learned anything at all, you need to move like molasses and have your arrow nocked at all times. You will not be able to use binoculars. My most common encounters are that I practically walk into a feeding deer and can't draw without being seen or I am seen and need to stand motionless for several minutes.

Quick Reply: Still hunting question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.