Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

skinning a deer

Old 09-24-2008, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: skinning a deer

I hang mine head-up as well. Easier to get the hinds off, and fronts, andno worry about dropping any of it. If you aren't mounting it, make a ring around the neck with your knife, ring the legs at the elbows, and get to work. If you do it when the deer is still warm (fresh) you will have a MUCH easier time. You shouldn't really have to cut too much, just pull and ease the knife between hide and meat to facilitate the process. When you pull the hide away, there will be a film that connects the hide to the meat, that is what you will cut with your knife, not necessarily the hide itself or the meat. Try to avoid cutting the hide, as the more cuts it has, the more hair that falls out and gets on your meat. Takes some practice, but it will be something you will probably come to enjoy. I love doing it, as I like the autopsy part of the kill.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:10 AM

WOW! Its funny to hear a question like that from someone who has over 4000 posts. jimmy28303is right on. Its how I was taught
Old 09-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Dominant Buck

I haven't heard anyone tell they do it exactly as I do....and I'm not saying my way is "right", either.

But....I make the cut inside the ligament on the back legs and insert the gambrel arms, there. From this point...I make my cuts around the skin at the hind legs where I want to save the meat.

I then use the gut knife to cut under the skin.....up the legs. The I peel the hams, downward. Cut around the anus.....then pull the skin down the deer's back. If you have to make small cuts along the way....no big deal....but I would NOT suggest using a filet knife. get something with a rounded tip for this exercise.

Make the same cuts on the deer's skin at the front legs (where you want to begin to save the meat)....and make your skin cut from the bottom on those, too (From the inside).At this point...you can likely pull the skin all the way down to nearly the deer's head.

A good tip is to leave the deer's head touching the floor while you're skinning/quartering. It'll keep it from "swaying" too much while you're working.

Now.....begin quarterin with the shoulders. It'll be REALLY easy. Then.....takeout your backstraps and inner tender loins. Now....you're ready to take the first ham. This one should be relatively simple. Your carcass is still stable. When you get to the last ham.....lower your carcass to the floor, some, and begin work on your final ham. KNOW that when you make your final cut on the last ham.....your carcass will want to fall. Just be ready for this.

Last ham is removed from the gambrel......saw the legs off at the point you made your incisionsto remove the skin.....and your deer is now quartered.

Put it on ice to take to the butcher.....OR....do it yourself.

Good luck
Old 09-24-2008, 07:40 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: OKbowhunter20

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

ORIGINAL: jimmy28303

i personally hang them by their legs and cut the skin at the knee and then work the knife between the skin and the body till you get past the butt. then you should just be able to pull it down to the front shoulders and then trim it off
Exactly how I do it.
Me three.
all i have to say is make sure you're hangin your deer by a very sturd struckure.. a dumbass tried this at my deer camp and they pulled the whole skinning shed down.. pissed us off
i my self do it gmmat's way
Old 09-24-2008, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

i have a 4x4 i plan to lay across two or three of the trusses in my roof of my garage.
ORIGINAL: gtownbuckbuster

ORIGINAL: OKbowhunter20

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

ORIGINAL: jimmy28303

i personally hang them by their legs and cut the skin at the knee and then work the knife between the skin and the body till you get past the butt. then you should just be able to pull it down to the front shoulders and then trim it off
Exactly how I do it.
Me three.
all i have to say is make sure you're hangin your deer by a very sturd struckure.. a dumbass tried this at my deer camp and they pulled the whole skinning shed down.. pissed us off
i my self do it gmmat's way
Old 09-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I haven't heard anyone tell they do it exactly as I do....and I'm not saying my way is "right", either.

But....I make the cut inside the ligament on the back legs and insert the gambrel arms, there. From this point...I make my cuts around the skin at the hind legs where I want to save the meat.

I then use the gut knife to cut under the skin.....up the legs. The I peel the hams, downward. Cut around the anus.....then pull the skin down the deer's back. If you have to make small cuts along the way....no big deal....but I would NOT suggest using a filet knife. get something with a rounded tip for this exercise.

Make the same cuts on the deer's skin at the front legs (where you want to begin to save the meat)....and make your skin cut from the bottom on those, too (From the inside).At this point...you can likely pull the skin all the way down to nearly the deer's head.

A good tip is to leave the deer's head touching the floor while you're skinning/quartering. It'll keep it from "swaying" too much while you're working.

Now.....begin quarterin with the shoulders. It'll be REALLY easy. Then.....takeout your backstraps and inner tender loins. Now....you're ready to take the first ham. This one should be relatively simple. Your carcass is still stable. When you get to the last ham.....lower your carcass to the floor, some, and begin work on your final ham. KNOW that when you make your final cut on the last ham.....your carcass will want to fall. Just be ready for this.

Last ham is removed from the gambrel......saw the legs off at the point you made your incisionsto remove the skin.....and your deer is now quartered.

Put it on ice to take to the butcher.....OR....do it yourself.

Good luck

Pretty much how I do it there!! Very good DIY directions there!! But really do one and then two and after awhile you will be amazed at how fast you can get it done!!!!